mfnren

carving on your back

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass,:S Should have been more specific about my request. I realize there are alot of people that don't know if they have freefly friendly gear.. ..was just trying to say, before any conclusions are made, that I have had my rig checked.. rendejo

Well, I just made an observation, not trying to be an asshole. Anyway, in my opinion, and from my experience witnessing several severe malfunctions due to non-freefly-friendly gear (velcro riser covers), NO velcro is safe for flying on you head.

To answer your question, learning to carve... I'm not very qualified to answer that since I am still learning a lot myself... but learn to fly down the tube on your head, then learn simple movements like forward, backward, and side sliding motions. Then find yourself a good freefly coach and have them take you out and teach you to carve.

Most people start out on their heads carving... then learn how to NOT carve... and then they have a tough time re-learning to carve the proper way. :P:D Carving is fun.

Good luck. Be safe. And find a rig without velcro. ;)

I am sooo not qualified to answer this. I'd rather a freefly coach answer. I only responded to your post because I was concerned for you. But it sounds as if you are pretty heads up.

Good luck and have fun!! Find a good coach like TJ or someone to help you get the basics down so you don't form any bad habits from the start. :)

Well if you're just talking about backflying - it would be no different that carving around someone on your belly. If you're talking about a very steep headdown carve, then yes you need to be able to control your headdown movement (speed, foward/back movement, turns).

Have you thought about trying to carve in your sit? That would be a good way to start.

BTW look at my post in Safety & Training about "Why you should freefly w/ good equipment"

d.

I am still learning how to carve around on my belly as well, and I'm not talking about a steep head down carve...yet;)thats a long ways off, I have done some carving in sit but I can't just do it whenever,it's just kind of happened, and am wondering how other people do it?? carving advice in general. Thanks:)

I think a good basic way is to have someone that can carve face off with you in a sit and begin to carve, if you continue to try to stay faced off w/ him you'll be carving as well.

The unintentional carving is called orbiting. When you orbit, typically you're faced off w/ someone but slightly offset to the left or right. As you try to move closer you be moving around them because your body is offset, but you're looking directly at them. You've got to have an ability to have good forward movement. Carving around a stationary object is the same principle but just a little harder to do.

So offset your body, look at the person, and try to drive to him/her without changing your offset.

Talk to some good belly fliers or instructor about how to carve on your belly. Personally I'd work on belly and sit carving before you get to back flying.

Dave.

.Like Weegegirl said, get a good FF coach and make a few jumps. It will help. That's TJ on the right side of the Avitar

TJ Landgren (the coach Weegegirl recommended ) is a member of Team Xaos and an excellent freeflier. The Avitar is the picture next to my userid. TJ is the guy w/ the yellow and red rig in the 7way picture, I'm in the center with the black and white rig.

D.