Evelyn

Learning to sit fly in the Vegas tunnel

Although I jump at Perris and fly the wind tunnel there, I've flown the Vegas tunnel before the Perris tunnel was completed. I'll be in Vegas next week so thought I'd go to the tunnel there to learn to sit fly. Although it's not wall to wall air like the Perris tunnel, I think it would be okay for learning to sit fly since I wouldn't need to be moving around a lot. Any suggestions?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I think it's a great way to get started sit flying, but the position you will use to successfully sit fly at vegas will of course be different than that at SkyV Perris or in the sky itself.. it's a great enviroment for getting started with the different orientation and you will come away with good 'head up' practice I'm sure.

Vegas tips, pick a good suit with solid closure, also since you will be sitting while wearing a baggier suit, make sure that the length from crotch to neck isn't so long that the suit will hit you in the chin. Just remember to have a little fun while your in there too!!!:P

Good luck! I learned to sit fly in a 'prop-jobbie' and the major difference when you get into the sky is really diggin in your heels and pushing down.. but that will come later..:)

Thank you Dawn for your input. I kind of expected people to just say the Vegas tunnel sucked, but I will go there regardless because a good friend is manager. I will follow your recommendation for the suit. Thank you!

Got any advice for the Perris Tunnel?
I am there next week ( kinda a last min thing so no specific 'camp' organised)

I'm a freeflyer and heavy at that....210 in my shorts.

Was hoping for some ad hoc headown stuff in the tunnel....but not sure thats gonna be possible
As the Nationals are happening I am figuring there will prob be some 'spare time' in the tunnel

But I absolutely refuse to work 'on my belly' in the tunnel...no matter how much it might teach me....

Hey Zoter... only a couple of things come to mind... wear a suit thats a 'little' bigger than you would normally wear.. you'll need the drag in there. It's my understanding that Perris is slightly slower than Orlando. I'm not sure they'll let you go head down in there.. you'll have to check (or perhaps you already know:P) but it seems that the technique of doing a handstand in the air (on the net) while working on the balance in your legs is the best way to go to get started.. you can work on feathering out your position to get a solid feeling in your leg movements.. now unless your really that good or nearly there, you shouldn't be flying up off the net, just resting there learning to balance, and deflect air with your legs..
Recovering from this position at high speeds with those crazy walls can be tricky.. best to have them drop the air slowly until you can bring your legs back down and under you, then they can bring it back up to flying speeds.

If you can find someone more your size to work with you, that is ideal.. although any coach will do.. someone your own size is better equipped to help you learn to balance your own body (same goes for any body size wether petite or XXL)

Other than that.. have fun & be careful!!

I'm not a professional.. but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently B|

I had so much fun learning to sit fly in the Vegas tunnel. Katie is an awesome coach and since she's also a kick ass freeflyer she was able to explain to me how flying in the air will be different from the tunnel. I got the basics down, so just need to work on moving forward, backward, up and down and turns. But at least I now have a feel for it so I'm confident with some minor adjustments I'll be able to do it. And I'm really glad I learned at the Vegas tunnel cuz trying to stay in the center where the air is was good practice and I also think I'm less beat up than if I'd learned in a tunnel with wall to wall air cuz I didn't have to worry about hitting the walls. If I went out of the air I just fell on the cushions and Katie dragged me back into the center. Anyway, just wanted to report that I DID learn to sit fly in the Vegas tunnel and it was such an awesome experience I'm going back this weekend to fly some more!

I've never tried freeflying in a tunnel before, although we did try the Pigeon Forge tunnel WAY back (1 year ago :P) when we were students trying to correct bad body position. I'm no sit-flying expert, by any means, but I'm no slouch anymore either. I'd be willing to bet I couldn't sit in a tunnel.

As for the horizontal movement, it came to me in a flash. All of those things my coach and other, more experienced freeflyers were telling me just meshed in my head one day, and I was using my pelvis to move forward and backward while maintaining good pressure on my legs. I was afraid I had hit a wall in my learning curve, but it just took persistence to put it all together.

Glad you had fun in the tunnel, and good luck on the rest of your freeflying endeavors. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.