j3zz

Barrel rolling a track and staying on heading

I have recently started to get invloved with tracking dives.

yesterday I was doing a solo practicing barrel rolls the thing is sometimes I would stay on heading other times turn during the roll and come out off heading,

I am initiating the barrel roll with my shoulders does anyone have any good tips for getting a super consistent on heading barrel roll??

I could really do with being able to do them so I can clear airspace above me on big tracking dives instead of relying on the people above me to stay clear.
Thanks

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

I am initiating the barrel roll with my shoulders does anyone have any good tips for getting a super consistent on heading barrel roll??

Initiate the barrel roll with your head, shoulders, arms, torso and legs...

Try slowing down first, and taking your time to do the barrel roll... What's important is that you check your air space and then deploy, not barrel roll, then slow down, then deploy... Besides, when you slow down before you barrel roll, you'll be more stable when you come out of the barrel roll, and have a more stable deployment sequence.

It is imperative that you barrel roll on every track jump that you participate on, and you should get into the habit of doing it on every skydive that you are on, regardless of it's angle of descent.

I think of the barrel roll in these circumstance (clearing airpspace above me, not just for fun) as a two-stage move: first I flip on my back, then back to my front. This does a couple of things: I find it helps with heading control as a result of making it two-stage; it also means that I have a moment to consciously take in what is going on above me... It doesn't mean I actually stop half way round, just break the move down (innit :P)

Drew's point about slowing down first is a good one, but would add that you don't want to be doing your barrel roll so close to deployment altitude that you are forced into going low if the airspace is not clear.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

What I do to stay on heading while going over is to keep my eyes on the rabbit as I'm going over. If I'm in the lower portion of the swarm I stay on my back as I turn and track away on my back finding clear air to deploy in. One eye on the horizon and still looking up and back a ways.

If I'm in the upper portion of the formation I fly the whole brake off on my belly and look back over my shoulder just prior to deployment.

In MANY freefly moves (or tracking) your heading is controlled, simply, by your focus.

Transition using your eyes as the center point (or center of gravity). I prefer saying center of gravity because if you think of it that way you're SET to try it.

Take a photograph of the horizon, spin it on a table real quickly, and focus on a center point. While in your transition, this should be exactly what you see.

It is kind of tough to keep a perfect heading when performing a barrel role in a track. It takes some consistent practice and currentness like everything else in the sport.

If you're on your stomach at the start, keep your head up. If you're on your back, keep it back. In a sit, get in the habit of placing your head directly on line with the horizon before starting. After a few jumps... you won't even be thinking about it.

Remember that we are, quite literally, pilots up there with only one gauge (usually an altimeter). The only other instruments you have are your senses. The more "sens'itive you are to the environment, the better you will do.

I really hope this helps. ;)

Well thanks for all the advice did a practice dive on friday just traking and barrel rolling. Sat on a 17 way I broke off in the last group I was right with the rabbit.

As I barrel rolled I could see someone directly above me he saw me and took avoiding action I checked over my shoulder before deploying and saw he was to my right far enough so deployed, I will never do another tracking dive without barrel rolling.

Only question I have is if you are the low man and you see someone above you what should you do? In this instance I thought it best to keep going straight and just check before dumping, I figured if I moved he might have the idea to move the same way. So next time I see someone above me what should I do?? This dive was prefectly save, but the guy above me was very experienced so I am thinking one day when someone with less experience is above me they may not be as aware.

Hinton Skydivers

Only question I have is if you are the low man and you see someone above you what should you do? In this instance I thought it best to keep going straight and just check before dumping, I figured if I moved he might have the idea to move the same way. So next time I see someone above me what should I do?? This dive was prefectly save, but the guy above me was very experienced so I am thinking one day when someone with less experience is above me they may not be as aware.

If you can see abover him, and his air space is clear, you give him the pull sign, which is to point at him (just like AFF)... Most people on bigger track jumps will understand what it is you're doing. Also, when you break off from a track jump, your vertical speed is quite slow compared to a regular FF jump, so you do have a couple "extra" seconds to get your own space.

On a side note, if you have someone right above you when you break off from a track jump, chances are that one of you didn't leave in the right direction. Tal kit up with the person who organized the track jump and see if you turned the correct angle away from the leader... If that's something that they didn't mention during the dirt dive, or don't know what it is you're talking about, then I would suggest not tracking with them again because the jump was not set up as as safe as it could have been right from the dirt dive!
Have fun

Thanks for that.

Our dive plans are pretty clear, there are no clearly assigned slots but we break off in groups based on were you are in the group, so by the end there are only about 5/6 people breaking into the front 100 degrees, this happens at 4500 so there is plenty of time for people to get maximum seperation, the guy above me had seen me so the plan had worked, when I saw him there was enough time for both of us to do something and still pull on time.

The vertical seperatoin was quite a big so I doubt he would have seen a pull signal but that is worth knowing for the future.

I did speak to the guy and he was quite happy that we had both acted correctly and as he was the high man agreed I should hold course and allow the high man to take avoiding action.

If it happens again I will do exactly the same thing, Clear airspace if not clear ensure I can see where the other person is and esure they are clear before attempting a pull.

Jeremy

Hinton Skydivers