Evelyn

First Freefly Attempt

Decided to try to get into a sit flying position. Exited from the SV not sure if I'd try to get into a sit on exit or get belly to earth and then try to get into position. Since I'm used to my tight fitting jumpsuit and 13 lbs. of weights, and I was wearing just tight shorts and a baggy long sleeve t-shirt, no weights when I exited it felt so wierd, like something was missing. My first thought was OMG, I lost my rig, but checked, no it was there. Stuck my arms out and pulled my legs up and tumbled all over the place. Got stable, checked my alti, still plenty of altitude. Tried it again. This time I actually got into a sit and thought cool, nothing to it. Held it for like 3 seconds before I started tumbling again. Got stable and checked my alti, at 5000, so decided not to try again since I wanted to be sure to be stable at pull time. Don't think I did too bad since I actually did get into position if only for a few sec. Hopefully next time it'll be longer. Someone told me to keep my legs together instead of apart and that would held with stability. Any advice would be appreciated.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

sounds like you're having fun :)does anyone at your DZ have a sit-suit? a few of the people who want to teach me sitfly at my DZ said a sit-suit is good for the first few attempts just to get yourself use to the position and feel.
but i'm no expert haha

keep it up

Don't know about having a sit suit, but was told to wear a kind of baggy long sleeve shirt to help catch the air and help get into position. Yeah, it was a lot of fun. B| Hopefully the next attempt will be better :S.

Way to go!

I personally don't recommend using a sit suit. I think the quicker you learn to fly your body without the help of a suit, the better. You are on the right track. Stay with something heavy and baggy on top and tighter on bottom.

The most common mistake when learning sit is to rely to much on your arms for the stability. Yes, the arms are crucial, but it really is about getting your upperbody over your center of gravity and using your legs and lowerbody for a solid base. Think about pushing down with your feet and keeping your knees and feet a little more than shoulder width apart to give you that base. If you think too much about catching yourself with your arms and then forget about your feet, you will lose your stability and spin with your feet up in front of you.

Pull your feet in, sit up over your hips, push those feet down and sit up. Use your arms to hold your heading. Don't try too hard with your arms to push yourself into a sit when you are leaning back. It will only cause you to spin if you don't get those feet under you and get your center of gravity over them.

Good luck! And if you are ever in NY, or run into me somewhere else, look me up and I will go up with ya and help ya out. :)

Someone told me to keep my legs together instead of apart and that would held with stability.

Negative Ghostrider.......

Think about trying to ballance on one foot while wearing roller blades. That's legs together.

Now think about ballancing on one fool while wearing snow shoes. That's with legs apart.

Legs together doesn't allow you to have as mich control over your speed, direction, drive front and back, and the ability to take groips. Legs apart gives you two seperate flying surfaces, and increases mobility.

Just keep practicing, it's not easy.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to make another attempt or two in between RW jumps this weekend, so I will try to concentrate more on my lower body this time. We'll see how it goes. Whatever happens, I'm gonna have FUN!!:)

Wow, I'm glad I read your post before trying to keep my legs together and getting even more unstable. :o

You aren't kidding about it not being easy. Didn't realize it would be this hard though [:/] But it was my first attempt, so hopefully I'll get better. At least RW seems much easier after attempting to FF. :ph34r:

Don't kid yourself, RW is hard too! Try being last out on a 30 or 40 way skydive where the last thing the LO said to you is "Don't be late!"

:o;)

Seriously, it's all fun, and it's all kind of cross training.

See you in the sky!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's funny, but I have a video of one of my first sitfly attempts, and it's almost exactly what you just described. From what I was told, as well as how many experienced freeflyers laughingly commiserated with me, not to mention watching newer (than me) freeflyers, just about everyone goes through almost exactly what you did. B|

Edited to add: Oh, and get used to exiting the aircraft and backflying off the hill. That was one of the hardest things for me to get used to. I kept trying to strong-arm everything and force the sit early. Being relaxed and sure of what you need to do is more than just a little important.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.