muffmuffmuff

how fast can we go?

There must be a theoretical limit since we can't accelerate faster than 10 m/s/s (ie gravity). Anyone care to work it out?

Edited to add: ok I had a stab at this but I've been drinking so......

SpeedSkydiving.net says that records are the participants average speed over 1000m, from 2700 to 1700. It doesn't specify an exit altitude so I've assumed 4000m.
Accelerating at 9.8 m/s/s from 4000m to 2700m gives you an entry speed of 160 m/s, if you continue to accelerate down to 1700m your exit speed would be 212 m/s. Your average speed over that 1000m would therefore be 186 m/s which is 416 mph or 670 kph. Good luck flaring out in time to deploy!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

The 416 is assuming it is done in a vacum i.e. no air resistance, so it's safe to say we won't see those types of speed.(well worked out, I got the same figure!)

I don't think we'll see anything much faster than what people are currently doing, as air resistance is related to an element of velocity squared and an element of velocity cubed.

If it was just related to velocity squared then doubling velocity would give four times as much air resistance.

In a headdown configuration it could easily be that doubling the velocity could give about 6 times the air resistance so those extra few mph would be very hard to obtain.

I would say the way to go would be to reduce air resistance on the helmet and any other leading edges (shoulders)

That's just my humble opinion, but I am the chief wind tunnel technician for the Mclaren F1 team!

In answer to the origional question I would say 400 will never be seen (with our current atmosphere and gravity)

Jumping from low altitudes....13,500 or there abouts, how fast do you think that we can go?

The fastest in a speed meet may be 350 mph plus or minus.

I have hit 320mph myself.

Is the 400 mph a realist goal.

Post up my speed buddies.

Regards
Mad max

where did you have your pro-track for 320 mph dive ? did you have 2 ? it's very easy to get false
reading from one Pro-Track. you can check your graph using JumpTrack if you have it and see if the curve
is very smooth around the peak. if it is, most likely it's a fluke.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

If I'm not mistaken, the sound barrier was broken during the highest altitude jump (I think it was from like 102,000 Feet) done in the 60's

But thats a whole different set of parameters
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Tim,
I'm not an expert on the whole Pro Track thing, but I was in a speed competition at SD Houston back in October and I became kind of interested in speed diving. We used Pro Tracks that were rigged up to a strap that fit on our chest strap. This gave us the best possible reading. We used True Airspeed as the speed setting and and that was about it. My fastest speed was 303 mph which was a personal best for me. I started another thread wondering why people use True Airspeed over Skydiver Airspeed in the General Talk Back forum. All I know is that SAS reads lower than TAS, but I heard that people in Speed Competitions always use TAS.

Clint D-24352