Zach

What's a carve

Yeah, I was gonna say, its a controlled orbit...

Yeah, I, too, was under the impression that orbiting is when you circle around each other while desperately trying to close the last few feet for a dock and carving is what you call it when you get to the ground.:P

someone explained it to me that a carve is exactly the same thing as an orbit but when youre trying to do it on purpose. So I guess if you find yourself orbiting around the base just get down from the jump and ask them how they liked your carve. :P:D

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Hey OJ, I have a question about carving. This could possibly also help people on here as well.

Anyway, I've done a few coached jumps focusing specifically on fast carving in both directions. I can do the classic carve or orbit where you stay pretty much upright and move sideways with a slight forward motion, but I mean really hard carving, practically on your back.

I guess I'm just having a little trouble understanding the concept of it. I understand that you sideslide to get a little momentum going sideways, then slowly angle your body in towards the target so you're slightly on your back, and bring in your arms and legs to take away surface area for fall rate, since you just put your back into the wind.

My question is, do you still actually have to turn to keep facing the person, or since you're driving forward with just sideways momentum, will you just "automatically" face the target?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks bro!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Hmm, yeah, I know what you're getting at. I think using sidesliding to start a carve is good, especially if you start out directly facing the person you're going to carve. Or, you can turn away from them slightly, start some forward motion, then turn back in to face them. Either one of these methods, you need to take care in keeping the orbit smooth and circular, not elliptical. And I think the sidesliding motion, at least to me, has less tendancy to become "wobbly".

As far as doing higher speed carves, more angled (where you tend, although it's not necessary, to bring your arms in a bit more to your sides) is more forward motion than sidesliding motion. And during that forward motion, there is a turn involved to keep you facing your target. But that turn is subtle - I feel it's more subtle than doing a twist-based headdown turn. But it's there.

There's something to be learned from carving around a large group, where your radius is much bigger than a single person. Also, a dual carve has different dynamics, where the radius can be even smaller than a single person centerpoint. I've found that practicing them all, you really get a feel for flying that faster, back-based carve.

EDIT: yah know, what's funny about carving is that when you're not trying to do it, there's times you're trying to fight it, and when you want to do it, it sometimes feels like it's hard. Orbiting occurs so often when 2 people are approaching each other, but not directly on a face to face collision course, and they start to fly by each other, and they turn to face each other. Then, since they feel that a gap will occur, they continue to drive forward. And they continue to try to face their target, so they turn. Hey, free orbit!!

(Sorry for the multi-edits):
One thing to note, if you didn't turn to face your target, and kept your forward motion, eventually you'd break orbit, or become very elliptical. It's not the sidesliding that keeps you in that orbit, it's definately (to me) forward motion with turning.