TaeKwonDoDo

Sitting in the last 2K'

Several of the people I jump with mix free-flying with RW - so I tried to get the sit down this weekend. I did OK on HD, but my sit was terrible - until the last 2K' of the fall where for some reason unknown to me, I just happened to find myself sitting?!?!?

Why would it be easier to sit at a lower altitude than on the exit at 18K and flip/flop/spin uncontrollably for the first 10K'? Or is this just me?

TIA,

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

I don't think the air has much to do with it. It might mean you were getting more comfortable flying the longer your were in the skydive.

I think being in a sit at the bottom end of the skydive is a good idea. You have a better visual of the horizon than you would in a head down, giving you better altitude awarness. I would recommend this.

When you are head down and looking at the person who is jumping with you who might be above you(altitude wise), you lose the visual of the ground because all you will see is blue sky.

keep it safe altitude is your friend. My two bits.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

Uh, yeah, I was kidding...whether you're at 5 or at 15k doesn't really matter if you know how to fly. Why not get a good freeflier to jump with you and tell you if he notices anything wrong with your technique? I'm sure that has a lot more to do with the problem you describe than air density.
Two-ways with someone more experienced are also the way to go before attempting any group action...make sure you know how to fall straight down and move around the sky on purpose, otherwise even a 3-way can turn into a total zoom fest.

I know what you mean. I always nail headdown below 6k when I have 3 seconds of working time left. Its the denser air adjusting to the drag of my flailing legs.

Who wants to find the 237 things wrong with my body position? God stretching is hard!

PS please dont waste bandwidth critiquing me, Im working on it! :P

edited to add: anyone know how to make my 114kb photo under 60 kb so you can actually see what Im rambling about? I cant seem to find the upload option in the gallery anymore so I can make my own gallery.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Well maybe the first few k's trying hard got you tired, forced in a certain amount of relaxation, and WHAM!
Relax and there you go!
Alti doesn't make a difference for it to work.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Several of the people I jump with mix free-flying with RW - so I tried to get the sit down this weekend. I did OK on HD, but my sit was terrible - until the last 2K' of the fall where for some reason unknown to me, I just happened to find myself sitting?!?!?

Why would it be easier to sit at a lower altitude than on the exit at 18K and flip/flop/spin uncontrollably for the first 10K'? Or is this just me?

I can't say for sure about the effect of the high altitude. Ive never been up higher than 15k. I would think it would not be much different, if any. It s all about how you present to the relative wind.

As far as learning to freefly, everyone is differnt but, I'd reccommend getting a stable sitfly down 1st before trying the headdown. Its real easy to zoom around and cover alot of sky. It good to be able to flip to a solid sit, where you can close the levels and proximity, then flip back on head and try again.

Two ways is the best place to start.

sit at a lower altitude

First off, I assume you are still learning and you will get it sooner or later.

I would advise not attempting anything in freeflying that low.

First of all, its too low. Second of all a tip from me... I slow down before I open so I will lessen the chance of getting a hard opening. I have lots of film footage of me upon opening cussing up a storm and my feet flying up.

Hopefully you are away from the RW positioned persons. You will be faster making them above you.

Just my 2 cents.

~AirAnn~

I'm not an experienced freeflier at all (learning to sit), but from a theoretical point of view, it is easier to get stable in any position in denser air. I am not sure if the difference between 5k and 15k is even enough to create a NOTICEABLE difference, but the difference is there. If you don't believe it, think about trying to sit at 25k. Or 35k. Keep this up and eventually you've left all air molecules behind and you're in a vaccuum. Try freeflying in THAT. The point is, we do use the air molecules to keep our bodies stable. I don't know if there is a noticeable difference in 10k ft to a skydiver (there is a noticeable difference to my lungs and brain), but the difference is there.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com