selbbub78

Stable Headdown?

So I did it. Granted I didn't mean to let it happen, since i am really trying to concentrate on my sit/stand right now, but I did 2 headdown jumps on thursday. I did a back dive out of the otter (i love that exit), and it placed me into a great headdown. Granted i am using the term "stable" very loosly, meaning, i held a headdown position for the entire jump. I am pretty sure i was backsliding (i was doing a solo). I went back up, and did another backdive out the door, into another headdown. Such an awesome feeling. Ironicly, i accidently took my 3 way RW into a head down from the exit the same day. oops... I'm going to try NOT to do headdown, because i really should have a better body position for a sit/stand first. It was still completely awesome though. Can't wait to do more :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

please, never try headdown for a whole SOLOjump if you are not sure if you are moving (or if you even think so!) - you could very possibly make a big - a bigger distance than you think - horizontal during the dive which could move you into other jumpers airspaces - what that could lead to you should know. get into a spot, try headdown for a FEW SECONDS on a solo, go back to sit again, make sure where you are and than try again. the best is if you - while you are sitting - orientate yourself and look 90 degrees of the jumprun and than try headdown - in this case you move forward or backward away from the jumprun but not into other groups! otherwise it is very dangerous for you AND for other skydivers jumping the same load with you.

you mean orient yourself relative to which way the ground is? I.E. if youre learning how to do HD (or sit/stand in my case) and doing solo jumps, one should face perpindicular to jumprun. Most people dont side slide during training, the big thing you have to worry about is foward/backward movement, correct?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I should clarifly that I did get off of jump run. I was 90 degrees, because i didn't want to put other people in danger. You're right though, you gotta be careful about where you are orientated in the sky. I try to be careful in the air. I thought i wrote that i did turn 90 degrees in my original post, guess i missed it. Thanks for your concern though, i'm always willing to learn from more experienced jumpers :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

:SHad the same thing happen to me yesterday. My solo headdown took me passed the previous 4 way team and scared the shit out of all of us. I saw them break off at about 50 meters. Luckilly they made good and quick adjustments and avoided collision. Now that I've come to my senses I will never try solo headdowns all the way even if I think I'm right on the axis, how awsome it may feel.
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

Just incase you guys havent seen this yet:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3981

It illustrates well the need for proper exit separation and exiting 90degrees to jump run to avoid possible collisions. And just as someone above mentioned, dont stay headdown for the entire jump when you are learning. Just a few seconds at a time is good. Then pop back into a sit, check your heading, and give it another go.