danwayland

Precision back flying

Any tunnel rats or experienced back flyers out there wanna give us some tips on backflying with some precision.

I've recently made several jumps with really slow sitflyers. Usually attractive girls with few freefly jumps, but I digress. Seems like I currently have two options:

I can go to my belly which has been very successful (I'm talking about some thin girls and some slow sits here). From my belly I'm easily able to dock on the feet or hands of a slow sit flyer.

Or: I can challenge myself and go to my back. This is fun, and I stay near my target, but I end up carving around in circles with my legs out straight and my arms swept back like I'm leading a tracking dive or carving around a four way.

I would like to increase the precision of my backflying such that I could dock a slow sit flyer or belly flyer from that position in a controlled manner.

I'm imagining that it would be something like put your arms in the box man position, bend your knees and spread your legs outward against the wind, but I'm not sure. Any tips would be appreciated.
--
Dan Wayland
http://www.danwayland.com

Here's something to try.

While sit flying. put your knees a little closer and push your feet out to the side. This puts more of the lower leg surface into the air stream instead of just the feet.

Since more drag is on the legs, the side affect is usually the ability to lean back just a bit more.

You'll be very surprised at how slow (and maneuverable) this is. Get used to it and you'll be able to sit fly with the attractive girls any time. (that's assuming they want you too :P )

Have fun

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How's it going Dan?
For starters you might want to try and teach the sitflyers to speed up. If they are wanting to participate in other freefly jumps they will need to learn to speed up. Freeflying at this slow speed could be dangerous if they go on a jump with standard fall rate freeflyers.

Second, as for the back flying, I just got back from the tunnel were I spent about 50% of my time backflying. I used to do the same as you, in a slow back carve. The trick is to counter with your hands over your head and to bend slightly at the hips and knees.

Good luck and stay safe

Bryan
Gravity Rats Freefly
Team Atair

I think you are on the right path there. One thing I have found (240 lbs exit) is that putting your palms facing upward will allow you to really extend your arms a lot more helping to decrease your fall rate. By putting your palms facing the sky and extending your arms straight "above" your head, you will have to counter with your legs extending which leads to even slower fall rates. I found this out while filming tandems. It is really easy to fly on your back if you don't think about what you want to do and actually just adjust your fall rate by capturing the full range of your body's positioning while doing it. It is actually possible to fly slower on your back than it is on your belly.
Live today as tomorrow may not come

try this give yourself a bit of distance from who you are jumping with go on to your bellly bring your arms right in and bend your body like a banana its still freeflying just another access really give it a go just try not to cork them otherwise the chicks are going to get pissed off and you dont want that do u

Okeedokee what i was trying to explain was that if they are flying slow instead of backflying you could always try belly flying with them its still flying just another acces just pull your arms in tight and bend like a banana and you can stay with them, you just might find it easier thats all. and regarding backflying think of it like back flying you want to go slow de arch (or arch and force your legs and arms down) forwards stretch your legs out and pull your arms in backwards bend ze legs and stretch the arms turn points if you wish just think of it as belly flying and transpose those movements to on your back then voila there you have it I hope i have explained this well enough

gotta fly

moose man

Awesome animation! I just tried back flying in the tunnel. I was stable( I've watched alot of other people back flying so I knew the stable position) and could go up and down right from the start. I was turning a little and was wondering why and also how to turn and side slide. I figured arm to the side and leg out. I see from the animation its lower the calf and arm to the side. Just what I wanted to know!!! I'm psyched for next time B|