DougH

RRS Arca-Swiss Style Lever Clamps: switching lever direction

I know there are a few of you with these clamps. I have been using them since I started flying cameras, love them.

Trying to get my CX760 and A7II both on top of my FTP using two of these clamps, but I need to change the direction that the lever opens and closes on one of the clamps.

I thought this was possible, but I am striking out on the RRS website, and the information that came with the clamps was gone about 6 years ago.

Is this possible without sending the clamp back to RRS?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

can you post a picture of what you're talking about? I have the same style of quick release as well but am not grasping your question. Is the quick release w/ the lever?...or the knob to tighten it down?

Also, you can find older versions of these on ebay if that helps.
my pics & stuff!

If you are wanting to flip the lever so it pushes to the right instead of to the left the only way to change it is to remove the little pin through the arm and then push it back in after flipping the lever. The issue is they use a press to put the pin in so it does not just fall out. I have not been able to figure out how to flip the handle on mine either. I now use them for ground photography only so its not an issue anymore.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks JJ and Phree.

JJ I have the lever style clamp. If I was looking at the back of the clamp, with the lever in front my style has the lever swing and close to the left to lock the assembly.

I was hoping there was a way to reverse the direction the lever swung to close.

I dug further through the Q&A on their website, and RRS has anwsered similar questions and told users that it is not possible to change the direct that the lever is orientated.

I guess you could push the press pin out, flip the unit, and press a new press pin back in.

I am a hesistant to say the least, especially with 2k+ worth of camera body and glass on the top! :o

It is a moot point right now. My dz is only using GoPro footage for outside video so I only mounted my A7II on top with my RRS mount.

After mocking it up a number of times I think I need a wider top plate to get both the cx760 and the A7II up top on the Flat Top without having a good deal of camera sticking out on either side. :o

=P

got it now...and makes sense. Looking at mine I was thinking the lever would just rotate around the base but I honestly haven't removed the base from the helmet in years. But you're right...you'd have to remove the pin which looks like way too much work. And now looking back on it I was trying to do the same (wanted that arm swinging the other way) and just gave up on it. And those quick release mounts aren't cheap either (assuming it's the RRS brand).
my pics & stuff!

Yeah they are a pretty penny, but boy are they nice.

I may end up using another setup for the video, and keeping the still camera on the RRS clamp, when I get around to setting up a wider top plate.

The X-Shut mounts looks pretty nice, and would be better since the CX760 will go in a box so it doesn't make sense to have the box raised up on the RRS clamp.
=P