tobi778

Unit conversion error in reserve-pin bulletin

Hi,

Thought I should share a discovery of a unit conversion error that caused a pin that was OK to fail TEST1.

In the Capewell bulletin the test procedure for TEST 1 reads as follows

2. Insure the pin interface element (cone, closing loop, etc), which passes through the grommet that holds
the pin in the parachute system, is approximately 3/16” (8 mm) from the pin shoulder.

However 3/16" is more like 4.76 mm!

As a result of not checking the math before testing the pin bent and was sent back to the dealer. The dealer straightened it out and did TEST 2 which the pin passed. After that he sent it back to the owner and pointed out the error in the bulletin.

I guess I have to check the conversions in future bulletins better.

Anyone else notice this?

/Toby

However 3/16" is more like 4.76 mm!

As a result of not checking the math before testing the pin bent and was sent back to the dealer. The dealer straightened it out and did TEST 2 which the pin passed. After that he sent it back to the owner and pointed out the error in the bulletin.

Others have noted the error.

I don't like the idea of straightening a bent pin. Extra work hardening might have bad consequences for brittleness, or other bad effects.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

yes...indeed I pointed this out the Friday after the SB came out, Aggie at Sunpath was the one who told me, and this scenario went beyond what we thought would happen....straighten out a bent pin? thats a NO NO.
Also the SB says something about detecting a .005 bend....is Capewell going to provide us with the sophisticated equipment required for such detection?

LIFE IS LIKE A CIGARETTE, YOU CAN SIT THERE AND WATCH IT BURN AWAY OR YOU CAN SMOKE THAT BITCH TO THE FILTER

I agree .005 is a very small amount
one strand of human hair is nominally .003
so if any one can see that by just looking must have really good eyes.
also if you were to put pins on an optical comparotor you would see most every pin has a slight bend before performing the test
I will say that 99% of all pins would fail given the .005 tolerance
Scroumptious P.O.L

Why are you appalled ?
In performing the test you bend the pin in 4 directions. Food for thought.

Hmm.. my understanding is you apply force to the pin to SEE if it will bend. If it does bend, then the pin is bad. A normal 4-way test will not affect the pin if the pin is in good condition.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Why are you appalled ?
In performing the test you bend the pin in 4 directions. Food for thought.

Everything bends when subjected to a load.

When metals are loaded past their elastic limit, they no longer return to their original condition when the load is removed.

Big difference.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Oh, sorry if this has been posted before, I didn't notice that post :S. I was also very surprised when I heard that he got back the same pin that we discarded. I personally would request a new one but since the owner has the same rigging qualifications as myself I figured its up to him. I told him my opinion on this the other day.