StoppieJoe

GoPro vs regular video cameras?

Which do you prefer? A go pro or an actual camera setup with a camcorder, like a sony handycam, with a camera helmet setup? Which has better quality? Which is easier/faster to edit? Which is eaiser to pair with a still camera?
Carpe Diem, Even if it kills me -- "Dead Poet's Society"

"Are you getting into trouble over there?" --- "Nothing that I'm going to admit to!"

StoppieJoe

Which do you prefer? A go pro or an actual camera setup with a camcorder, like a sony handycam, with a camera helmet setup? Which has better quality? Which is easier/faster to edit? Which is eaiser to pair with a still camera?

I have a CX100 for my main camera, pretty quick to edit/render even set on HD mode (I'd have to check the exact settings) but that was with a heafty computer doing the lifting.

My GoPro2 HD was just not able to beat it in anything except the size and the 'turn it on and forget it'. Of course, I have no indication in freefall that it's running either. Not to mention the loss of sound quality and some other things I've seen (like the exposure issues which I think may be fixed in a new version).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have used CX 110 and 115 and go pro2. I think the gp pro2 beats those CX style cameras hands down in quality.

The downside of go pro cameras is that the FOV fixed and it is very wide. So if I would want to shoot narrover FOV, I would choose a DSLR for video.

I think it depends on exactly what you are wanting to do with the camera. Overall I think they are both great cameras but each have their own pro/cons.

CX-
Hypeye control and indicator is huge for paid jumps/competitions.
Native image quality seems better (changes if you start talking about adding wide angle lens...esp fish eye).
Stability control when you don't want super wide field of view
in plane play back/framing is easy with the LCD.
a lot more features/customization can be done
still overall a very light package with long battery life for the size..
can zoom, auto focus, change lens...lots of options configurations you can play with
CX200 series now costs around or under 200 bucks...

Gopro-
Set and forget.
Nice add ons like the LCD back or batter back
For super wide angle, amazing picture quality
remote helps you know if it is on..but still not an indicator in your field of view like the hypeye.
Frame rates!!!!
Good stills
mounting options
makes being creative easy

The super wide field of view is great for when you are really close to people, but people quickly become small dots in the frame with a little distance. I've done some testing with my gopro on Medium field of view, and it is just a hair wider than my cx150 with a .55 and active stabilization. The key is going to see if the more narrow field of view and lack of stability control will make the footage too shaky. If not, I may use it as my secondary camera for this year.

With the trend to more quality, features, faster frame rates and bigger resolutions.....it will be really exciting what the next generation gopros will be capable of.