kelly456

work with Sony mts files in iMovie

I have a Sony camera or camcorder and use it to record some of the MTS videos when I spend holidays, I may want to edit it in imovie on Mac before burn video to DVD or share with family and friends. But, imovie is an editing software which couldn’t support all the video formats,I encounter different problems in video codec, frame rate, bitrate, etc. Confused? any suggestion?

So just updating to mountain lion let you handle mts files without converting them to apple friendly file format? (natively?)

I have imovie 11 that came with snow leopard equipped mac. I then updated to lion. I just need to buy mountain lion?

Thanks.

I have these problems also with mountain lion. Just updating won't help much. I now convert all my mts files with a program called pavtube to files (in my case to apple prores 422) I can work directly on FCP or iMovie
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Thanks for the info.

So it's kind of similar to how Mac (via preview or space bar) can display .CR2 files, but cannot display .ARW files.
But, if I wanted to "handle" either of the files, I need Aperture, Lightroom and etc.

BTW, I read it somewhere that LR4 can handle mts files. But does that mean I can edit/handle with mts via LR4?

Thanks in advance.

Just upgraded to OS 10.8.2. I still cannot play my MTS files (nex 5n). When I click on a MTS files, my computer somehow thinks it's a pic file and tries to open it from iphoto. I was thinking it would use Quicktime.
The thread below leads me to believe that the original file structure from the sony camera needs to be there.
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120801145830468
When I tried to play MTS files from my camera on an HDTV, I realized that I could not just play a MTS file without some other "playback" file that go along with the MTS file. Is this the problem? Did I need to import the whole SD card content on my mac?
Can you help me?

BTW, the LR4 does let you play the MTS files. But, no sound and it is sluggish.

Does the "element" version of premiere let me edit MTS files?

Thanks.

For anyone interested:
Just downloaded this and tried it.
Movist playbacks mts files without the original AVCHD folder/file structure. Less confusing. (for me at least)
It plays mts files just like the windows media player plays them on PC. You just need the mts files.

http://movist.en.softonic.com/mac