propilot

Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin

I'm planning on flying a DSLR with 10-22MM canon EF lens + sony CX150. Eventually, in the future, I want to be able to use my 580EX in freefall as well.

I already own a previous version of the cookie MXV cam helmet that I paid way too much for.

I was thinking about getting a Wes Pro but am wondering if I really need it at this stage.

What are your thoughts about the stability of a chinstrap based helmet vs a solid chin such as the wes pro considering a DSLR + 10-22 + sony video?

Need some help deciding if I should drop the 750 on the wes. Keep in mind if I use the Cookie that I already have for a camera helmet I would need to get another helmet for general use.

I was thinking of using the cookie for now and upgrading when I can tell for myself that I need to. The problem with this strategy is that by the time I mod out the cookie with an articulated post, and plates, etc, I'm spending a lot of money to cut up a helmet that I will eventually rip off all that stuff from and put on a wes pro. In the mean time I will need to purchase yet another helmet to fly with when I dont want to fly with a camera. Ending up spending even more money in the long run (3 helemts) plus having a cut up cookie helmet that I paid 400 bucks for just sitting there (once I migrate to the wes pro).

In the past ive always regretted not just getting what I want from the start. It always seems to cost more in the end.

Then again. I see many many tandem camera guys with nothing but chin strap based helmets.

I dont have a home DZ so...im asking here.

Thoughts?

I started out with a chin cup on a modified Bonehead Pimp Daddy for my first video helmet. I never noticed any shakiness when shooting tandem videos due to the upward shooting angle. However, when I began shooting more RW with a more downward angle the video was horrendous. I immediately ordered a Mantle and have never regretted it since. Looking back I should have bitten the bullet saving both time and money from the start.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

Yea, the cookie helmet I have has both (chin cup and a under chin strap). I bought it after loosing the similarly designed bonehead camera helmet that only had a chin cup...which during a stand, slipped off my chin (towards my nose) followed rapidly by the helmet disappearing completely from my head like magic. One of two very expensive skydives I've made. Luckily I had taken the video camera off just before, so I only lost the helmet and hypeye.

Anyway.

So, chincup vs solid chin. Yay? Nay? Any stability issues?

Chincups work just fine for tandem work. If you're planning on mounting a more weighty system, I sure wouldn't want a chincup (been there, done that) as opposed to a Wes Vapor or an FTP.
Heavier or forward balance weight, you'll really want that solid chin. Otherwise, a cup is sufficient and easier to deal with, IMO

Yea, the cookie helmet I have has both (chin cup and a under chin strap).

Both? So how does the cutaway work?

So, chincup vs solid chin. Yay? Nay? Any stability issues?

I strongly prefer the rear-entry type helmets for a DSLR+CX type of setup. All of our regular tandem video crew switched over to this type of helmet eventually if they didn't start out with one.

The other type of jumps I film, for outside FS work again I prefer the rear-entry type helmets. For inside FS work, I prefer a chincup type helmet with just a CX. For CRW, I don't think it matters much either way. Although my first chincup helmet had stability issues under canopy (not in freefall - weird).
For wingsuiting, the smaller helmet is probably easier on the neck. Again, you can go either way.

Basically I jump 2 helmets: a FTP for outside video work and a chincup FS helmet for inside/coaching. I prefer the FTP because it just feels much more secure and stable, and I'm much quicker putting on/off that helmet than the chincup one. YMMV :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

]

Both chin cup strap and buckle strap are on the same attachment point, the cutaway releases that point.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

]

Both chin cup strap and buckle strap are on the same attachment point, the cutaway releases that point.

That.

Actually the helmet didn't come with a cutaway system (retarded if you ask me, 400 dollars for a camera helmet with no cutaway). But I am planning on rigging one up before I jump it and it does have a single attachment point, so shouldnt be too hard to do.

Sounds like I'll be getting a FTP. Was trying to make sure I wasnt spending more than I have to.

Thanks guys

The "bonebucks" are a great way to go. I'm not sure if they still have their trade-in program...but on something like an FTP, it's very much worth it to check out.
LOVE LOVE my FTP for most things non-coach related