bigorangemd

Sony Vegas & MP4

So would it be better / more cost effective to update to Pro 9 or to 11?

Not necessarily. I just don't have Vegas Movie Studio 9 on this computer to test the mp4 decode. Vegas Movie 11 and Vegas Pro 11 both have a newer, better AVC/AVCHD decoder that works really well with AMD and Intel chipsets.

Speed of render, some keyshortcuts, stabilization, more tracks, better management, some new transitions, audio engine, 3D, some new FX, CUDA,
I'm sure there is more...I'm drawing a blank past those.
AVC management and much faster render time are the biggies.

Just got a GoPro that I was shooting a couple of underwater dives and tried to upload to Vegas. Won't recognize MP4. Hate to convert to AVI so what are my options?

Brush off Vegas and get powerdirector.

easy to use, really inexpensive, super fast...

So if I just have my regular laptop (sure it doesn't have a 3d card, as it's almost 3 years old), can I see anything on screen. Don't care about 3d just would like to see to edit. I was thinking about offering 3d to tandems that wish since I use a go-pro as a back up camera in case something goofs on primary I could easily add another and shoot 3d if desired. Seems like 3d sets are beginning to get more commonplace. I do not wish to buy all new equipment just to do this however.

yes, with a regular laptop, you can see 3D to edit (and also collapse 3D to 2D) on a screen. You can edit in 2D and then reset to 3D (assuming a 3D source) or you can edit in 3D with glasses on (although I wouldn't, it'll give you a serious headache after a while).