DSE

Leashing/safety tie on small format cameras

Guys, I've received a few PM's here and Facebook about leashing Contour/GoPros to a helmet, and felt it needs to be addressed.

Please DON'T!

If the camera/helmet become an entanglement point, the last thing you want is something holding the camera to your head/helmet. *Most* of the helmets using these small cameras do not have cutaways, so you want the camera to "cut away" by being broken/torn/sheared off the helmet.

If you think you can release a Fastex buckle when it's under pressure, try it sometime. Have a friend pull up your helmet so the Fastex is tight to the throat/chin as though it was hung up on a main.
Try to unsnap it. It's not as easy as you'd think.

This is a Public Service Announcement.:P

I've wondered why we haven't had more problems from no cutaway systems on "camera helmet" set ups on full face helmets, or especially side mount ed small format cameras. That Fastec clip is easy to unhook on the ground, but trying to dig it out of your throat so you can try to unbuckle it would suck.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

But... but... but...

What about the awesome footage I could save by having it securely tied to my canopy whenever we find it (with my helmet so I don't have to buy another one)?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If you think you can release a Fastex buckle when it's under pressure, try it sometime. Have a friend pull up your helmet so the Fastex is tight to the throat/chin as though it was hung up on a main.
Try to unsnap it. It's not as easy as you'd think.

I tried it LIVE, it was pretty easy but time consuming (specially when you have the "surprise" to find out after releasing your chincup that the chinstrap is also holding).

I wouldn't want to try it again.

People, get decent cutaway systems for your helmets, and get "as snagfree as possible" video helmets.

:)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM