base729

Wes Vapor Pro - Side Extensions

Don't have a photo, but just got my new Vapor Pro, which has the screws on the side to take the top plate off. The top plate hangs over about 1/2" on each side. Looks to me it was done to prevent any snagging on the screws.

About to start modifying the top plate and wanted to know if anyone else kept the overhang? I was going to remove the rear portion of the top plate and contour it to the rear of the helmet, but leave the sides. This what everyone else is doing?

Thanks

I think that is really there just in case you need to mount/protect something super-wide. Mine is trimmed to the sides and back (as are most I have seen), but overhangs the front a little. The side screws are button screws and very snag-proof. In short, if you don't need the additional support on the sides, I would trim it flush and not worry about anything snagging.

I took the lateral overhang off and then had to get a larger plate to deal with my new combination (T2i + CX550). Obviously, my vote would be to leave it alone unless you definitively know you won't need it... Ever.

The front overhang was excessive for my arrangement, so it is trimmed to the brim of the helmet. I'd post pictures but I'm out of town without my gear.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork