Ron

Transfer from VHS to digital/ cx 110???

I have a bunch of cool stuff on VHS.

I'd like to move this to electronic media.

I can use a computer, but I am no wiz.

I am planning on maybe buying a Sony cx110.
Can I use that to transfer this stuff? Like plug a VCR into it and record in digital?

If so, how?

If not, what else would you folks suggest?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A lot depends on how much stuff you have, and what you want to do with it. The simplest way for a lot of video that you simply want to archive in a more modern format is to use an all-in-one consumer DVD burner and burn a disk per tape. Later if you want you can rip the DVD's fairly easily if you need the footage in a computer. However, if you know you want to edit the footage, you will probably want to avoid the mpeg compression that is part of the DVD encoding process.

I don't think a CX110 has analog input. However, you can probably find an old Sony TRV-series camcorder (your VHS tapes are SD anyway) with analog inputs and either use that to transfer the videos to MiniDV, or just use it as a pass through device and capture to the computer using Firewire (or do both). There are also simple analog to Firewire converters you could use. I have an old "Hollywood Dazzle" that serves my webcam to my computer that I have used occasionally. But good chance someone at your DZ already has an old Sony they might let you use for cheap.

Component vid input cards are cheap cheap. Even Walmart sells them.
Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Canopus Edius, ULead Video studio all capture analog input over component or SVid.
Buy a card that goes in a computer slot or buy one that is an external box that outputs over USB. Even Windows Movie Maker can manage this.

of course I did.:$ Thanks for the catch.
Given the source is VHS, composite is likely all Ron will need.

ADS, Convergent, and Pinnacle all make composite cards with component, but they're 150.00.
The Dazzle, the KWorld, Startec are all around 40.00 and are composite only.