matttrudeau

Odyssey mods put on an older Javelin

Does anyone know if you can get the new mods on the Odyssey put on an older Javelin at Sunpath? Ex: Larger tuck tabs on risers and main closing flap... A friend of mine has an older Jav and the tuck tabs are getting worn and not performing up to standard anymore. It would be nice to replace them with the Odyssey tabs instead of the older tabs that came with the container. Thanks..

Very good advise Sneaky. And that's just what I did last week, and Agge gave me a big fat NO! He said it had to do with the fact that it was TSO'ed the old way, and would take a pile of paperwork to the FAA for each system to make it like an Odyssey.

I never asked him, but I wonder how much of a change will void the TSO. I know they put the main birdle cover on my Javelin. I suppose it just effects the TSO if it has to do with a change on the reserve system, or the harness. (also part of the reserve system.)

That really sucks, I don't see why they can't do it like the jump door on a plane. One person gets the approval, and does all the paperwork, and the rest just copy his plans exactly, and it's all good. It's only a couple flaps that have to be replaced to make the reserve flap tuck in, and it would make the rig much more freefly friendly. Maybe this is Sunpath's plan to get new business.

Reading your post again Matt, you asked about the main closing flap, and riser tuck tabs. Maybe they will do these things, but when I called him, I asked about the reserve tuck flap. You should call him, and see what he says.

Blue Skies,
Wags

yeah fair one....makes alot of sense.I used to do a bit of Board jumping years ago and I asked a DZ owner if it was ok at the DZ to jump it ( it wasn't common back then ).

His reply was " I dont care if you ride on the back of a dead sheep as long as its TSO'd "

PM Hooknswoop,he is a Rigger and can advice on this.I have minor mods done on my rig,but I have worked closely with my Rigger ( FAA Master Rigger )to do this correctly. I know what I like and he is able to make it work without playing with any of the approved designs.
If your Riser covers / Main Flap are coming open,then some changes will have to done.I cant think of anything worse than an exposed Pin or Risers creeping down over your shoulders during a skydive.Recipe for Disaster.

The problem with installing larger riser cover tuck tabs is that you also have to install larger pockets for them to tuck into. By the time you finish rebuilding the yoke with new pockets, you have done almost as much work as building a new rig.

The to a proper fit, you also have to update the mid flap. Two flaps equal more money.

You're right. It might end up being so expensive that I would be better off selling my container and buying the Odyssey. I personally don't have problems, "Knock on Wood" with my riser covers or main closing tab. I know somebody who does and I just want to know what to do if It starts happening to me.