fa50ex

Lost weight, what now?

Hey guys, I have a concern. Tell me what y’all think.

I have 220 jumps. I’m getting ready to start looking for a new rig this summer, but I lost a lot of weight on Atkins and I want some thoughts before I go out and demo new stuff.

Before I lost weight I was 242 lbs. out the door on a 6’3” frame. I loaded my Sabre 210 at 1.52:1. with no problem. Now I lost almost 40 lbs and I’m loading my parachute at a little less than 1:1.

I’m considering a 170 sq/ft main which would put me at 1.7:1 at 200 lbs out the door. My weight is not yet stable at 180 lbs. I might gain another 10 lbs before I do this. That would put me at 210 pounds and 1.23:1.

If you count by load factor, a 170 sq/ft main is no big deal(1.52:1 vs. 1.23:1) But going from a 210 to a 170 sounds frightening. Am I making too much of this or what? I’m just concerned really for the fist couple of jumps because if it’s doable, than I’ll know right away. But if it’s not then I break a leg.

What is so wrong with 1:1 wingloading?

Enjoy your easy soft landings.

You are already doubting whether you should downsize much, listen to that voice. Don't be in a hurry, maybe you should never downsize.

You can have a lot of fun skydiving for years and years without scaring yourself when you come in for every landing.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I’m considering a 170 sq/ft main which would put me at 1.7:1 at 200 lbs out the door. My weight is not yet stable at 180 lbs. I might gain another 10 lbs before I do this. That would put me at 210 pounds and 1.23:1.

that would be 1.176

-yoshi

I'd say to base your canpoy size on the MAX you expect to weigh and the max WL you want to fly at.

It would suck to buy that 170 and then put on 30 lbs.

Wight rarely ever stays static.
I'm into bodybuilding and I'm cut at 5' 11" and 210 lbs. (naked)
I might go as high as 230 lbs when I'm in a building phase. I average 220 lbs.
I'm getting a Sabre2 230 because its an acceptable WL at
any weight I might be during my training phases.
I'm relatively inexperienced so I prefer to not load much higher than 1:1.
Granted, I'm not going to go as fast at my lightest but for safety sake I consider my heaviest as the one I base my canopy size on.

Be realistic about what you think you will weigh down the road or you might end up overloading your canopy.

Hey, I was just out in Xenia-Greene County Ohio with the crew doggers just a couple weeks ago. I bet I jumped with you.

Anyway, my banopy now feels like a tank. I feel like I'm driving a bus. besides, my landings were better when I loaded the wing.

Well I won't get into the merits of downsizing I'll let you decide that. Now to answer your question if you were loading your 210 at a 1.52 and you go to a 170 loaded at about 1.25 you shouldn't have any problems. Provided you were doing ok with the other canopy. I would think you would be better off under a 170 loaded at 1.25 then on a 210 loaded at 1.5 of course you would also be safer under the 210 loaded at 1.1 but that's your choice
I did something similar I was jumping a 175 loaded at about 1.23 I then lost some weight and downsized to a 150 loaded at about the same and had no problems at all with the canopy it did seem a little more responsive but not much.

Yea, that is what I thought it would be like. I liked my 210 when it was loaded, but not now. I don't want to go crazy or anything, but the 1:1 ratio gets pushed around on landing too much. I want some airflow in cross winds.