Skydivesg

sony Vegas

I just got Sony Vegas Pro 9 and I have a ton of questions. Used the search function. No luck.

I have the VAASST training video.
Spot talks about setting up the video project properties but doesn't say which is best for tandem videos.

I'm shooting on a CX150 in SD mode.

Which is the best setting for typical DVDs in the Vegas video properties?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Best settings are for what your camera is acquiring.
In your case, best settings are the 720 x 480 widescreen.
Set it to this preset, then in the Properties dialog, choose "Always open Vegas with these settings."

You coulda asked me at Couch Freaks, I even had you paged!
:P

I heard you were at Couch but I didn't see you.

Every time I walked by wing suiters I looked for you but had no luck.

I would have really enjoyed just sitting and talking with you.

I hung out quite a bit at Trunk's trailer and of course my kid and Mel.

I'm sure they got tired of the old man.

Thanks for the info....... and be prepared for more questions.

for SD delivery, progrssive vs LFF (Lower Field First) doesn't matter much any longer. All modern DVD players can read progressive and output either/or.
Progressive is for SD and HD both.
So is interlaced, but HD is always UFF (Upper Field First).

I don't have a HDTV, and don't plan on getting one, so here's a somewhat of a dumb question/statement. My understanding is that all HDTV's are now progressive, so why does Sony even bother to manufacture interlace camcorders? It just seems to make everything more confusing for editors, as shown here.
Progressive editing is sooooo effortless. Drop into the time line, edit, and not deal with all the extra steps of special setup, deinterlacing afterwards, etc.

4DBill
http://dslrforvideo.com
4dbill.com

A-the deinterlacing issues are *mostly* Mac software-related. Note that progressive editing is 100% normal in Premiere for Mac.
Ask Vegas, Canopus, Avid, Draco, etc users about their "normal" editing experiences. All quantize to frame boundaries, never half-frames (unless you disable quantization)
B-high resolution progressive information is bandwidth-hungry, and can't be cheaply written to cards due to speeds.
C-It's cheaper to produce interlaced processors.
D-interlace is here to stay. No ifs, ands, or buts. It's still the best delivery mechanism there is (for broadcast). FWIW, PsF is sometimes referred to as "quasi-interlaced."

And no...not all HDTVs are progressive. They all have decoders that read both, but PsF is the current and future standard.
It's confusing, I know...this gets asked about a lot.
If Sony would to to true progressive imaging, the bandwidth requirement would require either much smaller pixel count, interpolated bigger (the Panasonic method) much faster card times (which is how Canon has gone) or a blend of both (early AVCHD and MSPD cards).
There are two camcorder manufacturers that use PsF in their "progressive recording" but kinda mislead the public by saying "our cameras are progressive" when in fact, they are not. They are PsF.

Shit...there I went getting all techno again.B|
Please keep the ass-chewing PM's to a minimum.

Shit...there I went getting all techno again. B|
Please keep the ass-chewing PM's to a minimum.

It's ok... I'll forgive you if you tell me what PsF stands for... :P

although I probably just missed it in some other thread...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

OK new problem.

I'm sure the answer is simple but here goes. (And I've searched til my eyes are buggy.)

When I try to shorten a clip of music by grabbing the end of the music track and dragging it backwards it ends up dragging my video clip above it.

I make sure only my music track is highlighted and it looks like it's working till I get it to where I want to stop and then suddenly the video track is overlapping the previous video track.

I have the same problem when I try to do a split of tracks.

It splits everything in the timeline.

WTF%#$$!%!$%^%**%^&

Help.

You're just experiencing some basic learning pains. Yes both issues are easy to address. Since I know DSE is busy out having fun wingsuiting at a boogie today, I'll see if I can help.

First is ripple effect. At the top of your Vegas screen you'll see a few pushbutton options... one has a drop-down box option next to it. If you hover the mouse cursor over it you'll see it says "Auto Ripple" If you click on the image, it'll turn off ripple effect and now when you change one event it will no longer affect others. That's how you turn ripple effect on or off... it's a very handy feature to use in many cases... maybe check out the options in the drop-down box and see how they differ.

Next issue: selecting what you'd like to split. If you have a few tracks on a timeline and they have overlapping events, but you only want to split one of those events... click on that particular event, at the place where you'd like to split. The event should now be highlighted, showing that it's been selected. Now if you his "S" on your keyboard, Vegas should split only that event. Howverer if you want to split everything on the timeline at a specific point, click above all the events. This will make it so that no events are highlighted. If you hit "S" now, all events will be split.

Lot's of good help.

Now.... I am editing an older video from a couple of years ago shot on a PC9.

How do I convert the 4x3 into widescreen?

And can I do it even though I've already edited it? Not rendered - just edited.

Once again you guys have come through.

Now here's another one....

Is it possible to get a frame grab from the video in the time line and then move that frame grab (still picture) to another spot on the time line?

Yes. put the cursor/CTI on the frame you want to grab.
In the preview window, press the "Save" icon. this will give you the option to save it to clipboard or file.
Choose Clipboard.
now put the cursor/CTI where you want that still to occur and press CTRL+V (paste)
voila!

I went the long way and saved it to the desktop and then imported to the project and then drug it over.
I'll play around and see if I can shorten the way you suggest.

This shit's complicated for an old guy who has never done NLE.

Thanks for all the help.

Hopefully someone else is learning from all this.

OK I know I've read something about this but using the search has turned up nothing for me.

I shot some video today usinig my CX150.

When I edited it on Vegas 9 and burned it using DVD Architec the video looks blurry/ghosting when there is any camera movment. This includes any movement of the subject like the canopy opening and the exit.

The blurr does not happen when I watch the raw footage on my camera

My camera is set to none on the IS mode.

Any help?

This would suggest you're changing framerate or media speed/timewarp.

Does it blur/ghost on the timeline?

It's also possible you're seeing interlacing which is sometimes incorrectly identified as ghosting.

The way to immediately check this is to set your project properties to Progressive, and set the Blending method to interpolate.
then render to see if the ghosting goes away.

It does do it on the time line. What causes changing framrate or media speed/timewarp?

My properties were set to lower field first and the deinterlace was set to interpolate.

I assume that's what you mean.

I'll change the lower field to none (progressive scan) and I'll let you know if it helps.

OK that didn't fix it.

My project properties are:

Template = Custom (720x480, 29.970 fps)
Width = 720 Field order = None (progressive scan)
Height = 480 Pixel aspect ratio = 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen)

Output rotation = 0 degrees (original)

Frame rate = 29.970 (NTSC)

Pixel format = 8-bit

Composting gamma = 2.222 (Video)

Full resolution rendering quality = Good

Motion blur type = Gaussian

Deinterlace method = Interpolate fields

Speak to me oh wise one..........