sbhesq

Computer Hardware Input Needed

So my editing board finally died this weekend and it looks like it will be computer full time now. I am not very tech savy and had a buddy of mine put together the package below. I was just looking for some input as to whether this setup is appropriate for putting out tandem vids in @10mins. I will be using Vegas Platinum to start and will be getting Pro 9 and Production Assistant in the near future.

Thanks,

Steve

PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS CARD AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T + ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 1.5 TB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 750GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs)
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
MONITOR 20.0" Dell ST2010-BLK HD Monitor with VGA cable
SOUND CARD THX® TruStudio PC™

Looks ok except for the processor: I'd forgo AMD altogether and get a Intel Core i7 (any model) preferably, or if money is an issue a Core i5-750 (not another i5 model number, you want the quadcore).

You prolly don't need a soundcard as sound should be integrated in the motherboard (which you don't list). Videocard is fairly unimportant when editing. You could shave off a couple 10s of bucks there if you need it for the CPU.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'd also caution against a RAID 0 setup without having a backup solution for the system... which you should have anyway...

because with a RAID 0 setup if one of the drives fails then the system will not be bootable...

having said that you could probably add another 750GB drive and setup a RAID 5 which would still provide some speed improvement but would also offer some redundancy in case of a hard drive failure... it wouldn't increase useable drive space but it would provide some data safety.

I've also moved away from AMD processors... and my Intel Core i7 seems much better then my AMD Phenom processor was...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

For the hard drives, I would recommend:
If you want super speed, Raid Zero is fine, but I'd get 2 SSD's (don't have to be super huge) and have the big volume drives for your storage. The rig I use right now for photo editing has 2 10K RPM hardrives (total is about 76Gigs of space) that I have my OS and all my programs on. I have a 1TB raid 1 array (2 identical drives that act as one, so if one fails I don't lose any data) for my files and for my backups. And I have another smaller hard drive that is just the scratch disk for photoshop.

Something similar might work well for video (but i'd go SSD instead of 10KRPM drives).

Having everything on one really big raid 0 array is risky. Raid 0 is really fast, but if one drive fails you lose everything (that isn't backed up off that drive). That's why I'm a fan of a smaller and really fast raid zero array for the boot drive, and then having another drive (raid 1 if you can) for storage etc.

edit for type-o

If you really want speed and redundancy (and have some cash) Raid 10 can be great. It is 4 drives that are a combo of raid 1 and raid 0. So they are striped disks that are each backed up with a mirrored pair. Thus you get the full speed of raid 0, and the redundancy of raid 1, and the cost of 4 drives. The board I have now doesnt support it, but most of the nicer/newer boards will.