bdazel

video file organizing software

Does anyone know of software that can be used to organize and index video file clips? Something like Lightroom (without the editing capability) or Adobe Bridge is what I'm thinking of.

It would be nice to be able to flag certain video clips and even add comments or keywords. This would save lots of time when looking for particular clips, or compiling bits of video by theme or subject matter.

Totally different from Lightroom, Sony Vegas Media Manager also does amazing media management with up to 100 keyword/metatag capability. has some pre-defined tags for closeups, MCU, Medium, Wides, etc, plus a lot of other indexing options pre-built. Flaggable via stars, etc.
Thumbnails, etc as well. Built on the same platform as Avid's system is built, in terms of data management/searching.
But if you already know/love lightroom, you might be best off going with what you know.

Thanks for the info. Guess that's just one more item to add to the list of reasons to upgrade to Vegas Pro. I'm not sure which would be more efficient: organizing video clips in Lightroom 3 with corresponding photos, or in Vegas with easier integration with the editing program. Guess I'll just have to demo both.

Thanks for the info. Guess that's just one more item to add to the list of reasons to upgrade to Vegas Pro. I'm not sure which would be more efficient: organizing video clips in Lightroom 3 with corresponding photos, or in Vegas with easier integration with the editing program. Guess I'll just have to demo both.

I couldn't get Lightroom 3 Beta to recognize the AVCHD (mts) files as video files...

I do however have Vegas Pro... I didn't realize that the Vegas Media Manager was available... I'll have to install it an check it out... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

There is a lightroom 2 plugin that also allows one to import/catalog videos (including AVCHD) available... in the plugin database... (it's by the same developer that has produced the facebook and smugmug plugins.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...