mircan

Broadcast delivery formats/media

Hi.
I was wondering what would be the right format and media for delivering HD video material to broadcasters/TV stations (AVCHD from cx-105)?

So far we gave DV tapes or "raw" .avi DV footage burned as data DVD but we switched to HD this season.
dudeist skydiver #42

Whatever the broadcasters/TV stations paying for...;)
Seriously, my experince is they really not set up for AVCHD (yet). I would convert the video into HDV (MPEG2) and put it onto a disc as a data file.

Usually, my boss is paying me, not TV stations. They often come to shoot some local celebrity or something, and they always want the footage right away when they are leaving DZ. So DV tapes were quick solution, and they gave them back after couple of days.

How about asking the TV-station instead ?

Because most of the TV camera guys and the rest of the field crew don`t know sh*t about what the editing guy back at the station needs. If I offer them a data DVD with .avi files, the common answer is "We don`t take DVDs".
dudeist skydiver #42

I would definetly just give ´em the raw footage straight from the camera. Thats how I have done it. Any destructive changes in the format might actually make it worse.

The pros at the tv-station will know what to do with it. (unless its a total micky mouse TV-station)

I would definetly just give ´em the raw footage straight from the camera. Thats how I have done it. Any destructive changes in the format might actually make it worse.

The pros at the tv-station will know what to do with it. (unless its a total micky mouse TV-station)

That couldn't be further from the truth.
Most television stations don't know anything about AVCHD, MPEG2HD, nor HDV. *Most* only know the in-house formats for which they are designed/workflow-defined.

The be-all, end all delivery format that nearly everyone can open is .mxf, or Material eXchange Format. Mac and PC interchangeable, reads on Media Pool systems, Quantel, Apogee, Matrox, and other media distribution HD/SDI systems. AVID, Final Cut, Quantel and other NLE/post systems read it well.
You can transcode to either Sony MXF (biggest industry standard) or Panasonic's .mxf format, but they're both open XML containers.

Don't ever expect ENG guys to know what to do with your raw footage. Most won't. That's changing...

FWIW, I have a vimeo/YouTube training stream on using Vegas to Final Cut, Final Cut to Avid using the .mxf format encoder.

Will look into .mxf. I watched a lot of your videos and most of them were really helpful, thanks :)*Got the "Tandem videos made easy" dvd...

OTOH, converting would not be so practical in regard of doing it fast on the DZ (before crews leave), or am I wrong?

dudeist skydiver #42

Converting AVDHD to .mxf is very fast.
Converting MPEG2 to IMX is very fast.
Converting SD MPEG 2 to IMX or .mxf isn't so fast.
But "fast" is relative. If it's just a couple jumps (1-3 mins) then even "slow" is fast. Maybe 3-5 minutes on a slower computer? Just this second, I converted an AVCHD jump to .mxf on a quad, and it took 2.5 mins to convert 2 mins of footage.

HTH?

So .mts to .mxf is fast.
.imx? Wikipedia list it as one of the betacam formats, but do guys on TV station editing work with it?

Say... 15-20 minutes is fast enough.

I`ll go and check my laptop`s converting time (just dual-core [:/]). Both .mts and .mpg

Thank you.

dudeist skydiver #42