ryan_d_sucks

Comparing lenses, CX100

I'm about to purchase a wide angle lens for my CX100.. I have heard over and over that .5 is preferable for outside video, and .3 for inside.

I was wondering if anyone has links to any video where I could compare between different lenses.. I have searched all over youtube, but most skydiving movies don't say in the info what camera or lens was used to make it. I'm specifically interested in seeing the difference in footage between the Raynox 5050 and the Opteka .3

So do any of you have videos posted online? Would you mid linking and posting which lens you used?

After asking the same question to 10 different people, I found that depending on your flying skills and how far away you want to be from the target, you should choose different lenses.

I use .3 (Raynox 3030) for freefly films (1-5meters away) and .5 for other purposes. You can watch 0.3 film at: http://www.vimeo.com/9274549

/Karl, Sweden (beginner at this)
CX 105E in a Tonfly CC1

I'm about to purchase a wide angle lens for my CX100.. I have heard over and over that .5 is preferable for outside video, and .3 for inside.

The first think you should know that ".3" does not tell you much. The Raynox ".3" is about as wide as the Century .5 on the CX100. The true wideness is a combination of the lens and the camera you attach the lens to.

The Opteka .3 and Century .3 (basically the same lens, except the price:) are much wider than the Raynox .3.

Another thing to consider is safety. The Century .55 is tiny and light, while the Century, Opeteka and Raynox .3 are big (snag hazard) and heavy(poor neck). The Century .5 is a bit larger than the .55, but seems like a good compromise.

The Raynox lenses are multi-element, which can suck a bit if you use it in damp environments and you get moisture inside it. I've seen a lot of videos ruined by fogging because of this.

But, anything will probably work out fine. Looking forward to see your awezum videos. (: