cassie1441

Go PRo VS Contour Camera on Mounts

I have only ever seen one contour camera and the mounting broke on the first jump. So I am wondering what information does any one have on the contour mounting vs. the GO Pro because I do like the look of the contour but I am a little nervous on mounting of the contour and how it holds up in the long run.

I have used and product tested both. the contour sucks. Stick with the gopro. I know it looks like a plastic cancerous tumor, but it kicks ass in all ways but the Contour's ease of flipping "record" switch.

I mounted mine (Vholdr) with the goggle mount, but I super glued the mount to the helmet and then put ski goggles in place. I saw the ContourHD fall off a friend of mine on a two-way, so I glued mine in. never had a problem with the gopro mounts, but I started to glue them as well. (glue in addition to the 3M adhesive, then pressure clamped and cured overnight.)

My contour is attached with 3M duallock velcro, and belive me it wont come off.
My helmet bends when i try to remove it, offcourse i can get it off but it takes alot of force.

http://www.hellis.me/Side.JPG
http://www.hellis.me/Front.JPG

With this mount i have a "snagfree" camera that i easily can adjust the angle by moving the camera forward or backwards on the helmet.
I can also mount it backwards for shoting the deployment.

Hey Hellis,

I just got my Contour HD and I'm in the Process of mounting it to my Z1.
I've looked at a few options since a lot of people jump them here in Germany.
I have not seen a frame setup like yours though. Looks good. Where did you get that frame ?

Thanks for your help !

Well if you dont use the visor, your helmet will basicly be just as any other helmet so mounting shouldnt be any problem.
The way that my camera is attached to my helmet in the picture its aimed straight froward, if i would do a belly jump i think i will move the camera back a bit to give it a more 'up-angle'.

Interesting to see what you guys are saying about the Contour HD mounts. One of our video flyers got one last season as an experiment, then lost it in freefall within a weekend or two due to mount issues. I think he's got that solved now with a homegrown mount (and another new Contour), but it sounds like an expensive trend.

After flying it with the reinforced mount, he seemed pretty happy with the overall video quality.

Lance

The nicest, but also most expensive setup I have seen is using a x-shut. http://www.x-shut.de/. The x-shut is around 112 eur. + a Custom made aluminum Cam Holder. My buddy sent his Factory Diver to the x-shut people and paid around 240eur for the entire job(mounting, x-shut 4rast and custom aluminum cam holder). I don't have a pic though. Whats great, you can easily remove the cam. The Cons: You can't change the angle of the cam, Super $$$.

edit to add:
The x-shut skydiving page:
http://www.x-shut.de/index.php?menuid=21

We've been using a custom T-bar for a few weeks on 10 Contours out here in Arizona for a few hundred skydives. They have been holding up extremely well. I don't have final prices on them but they should be sub $50 and of course will be anodized.

I do find the contours are more reliable then the gopros but the gopros have more functionality and a more saturated color.

The team I made these for ended up mounting the bar to the helmet without the swivel clamp. The swivel clamp is good for non-flat surfaces but may not be needed in all applications. We did add notches for bunches to the swivel clamp if someone wants to add that to his or her application.

I should note that a piece of high density foam in the voids would be a great idea to prevent snag points. That is all...

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Hi I just saw your mount and it is exactly the same as mine! I've jumped with it 4 times now. It's not coming off by accident. If a line snagged it I still think it would come off but I have the safety leash attached to the helmet. I've gotten several comments about it at the DZ. I get a much cleaner image if I record at 720P @ 60fps (it is stunningly good) than at 1080P. I should play with the compression setting to see if I can improve the 1080P recording. I also seem to get more fisheye effect at 720P than at 1080P. I just thought I would share my experiences.

If a line snagged it I still think it would come off but I have the safety leash attached to the helmet.

What would come off?
Camera? :|
Mount? [:/]
Saftey leash? :ph34r:
Mount? ;)
Helmet? B|
Head? B|:S
:P

I agree i also think the 60 fps is better. The video "flows" better.
But i think that is because we watch the videos on computers.
If you would play it on a DVD (BluRay) on the TV i would imagine the 1080 would look better as the Disc-players are limited to 30 fps (25 PAL).
But that is my guess, i havnt tried it.

Yes, you do get more fisheye at the lower resolutions. Its supposed to be that way.