pilotdave

FTP vs Vapor Wes Pro

I've found a lot of great info about both helmets, but no direct comparison between them. Any opinions on the pros and cons of each?

Here's what I'm thinking so far...

The Vapor is an inch wider. I plan to top mount everything including a 50D, so width seems inportant. Some people use wider plates on FTPs though.

The Vapor looks like it would cover the mouth... the FTP is shaped the opposite way at the front. Saw one comment that the Vapor's design makes it harder to get a switch in your mouth, but it's not too bad. Any more opinions on that?

Any difference in the way the two helmets latch and clamp down? The main reason I want a new helmet is to get one that clamps to my head more securely for less camera shake.

The FTP uses an L-bracket for front mounting a camera, the Vapor uses an overhung top plate (which I'd cut off). Seems like the FTP is more versatile there. I don't plan to use the front, but options are nice. Any real pro to the way the Vapor does it?

Seems like the Vapor wins on comfort, at least from the few reviews I've read.

What else? Any other reasons one is significantly better than the other?

I'm leaning toward an FTP just because it's been around so long and improvements have been incorporated. The Vapor is still new. But I do like the width of the Vapor and I would love to figure out how to put a lens on it, which I know has been done. Not sure how you stick a tongue switch in your mouth if it has a fixed visor on it, but I'd be willing to learn.

The prices are identical (when you add a cutaway to the Vapor). The fact that it doesn't come with a cutaway pisses me off actually.

So, which would you buy and why?

Dave

I tried both and preferred the fit of the Vapor. I am still waiting to actually buy it. The chin cup actually fits nicely over my pointy chin with room for a switch. The closer was much more comfortable verses the FTP. As explained to me, the cut away system has to be self installed because SkySystems doesn't want to accept liability. I'll be getting the Vapor, with cut away option.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I have a new Vapor and love it (it is actually my second, but the first one was when it was a different company, and before the Wes Rich improvements). I initially wanted the Vapor because they are more comfortable (for my head), and have a wider top for more flexibility.

A couple of points you asked about. First, I have no problem using or accessing my mouth switch.

As far as the still camera mount, one reason I really like the Vapor design is that I can mount both my video camera and my still up top (and a flash when I want also) due to the wider plate. This keeps the weight centered over my spine, and has made for much more comfortable openings because you don't get the weight of the SLR pivoting your head forward on rougher openings. My neck really appreciates this mount, and it has made a noticeable improvement this year (my old Vapor had the front-mounted SLR). Also, it gives me much more visibility vs. a front mounted camera.

You could always add a right angle bracket in front if you wanted too (there is plenty of space), but I see no good reason to mount a camera there, and some good reasons to keep it away from there. The above mentioned weight centering, the increased visibility, and keeping your lens further from bashing into aircraft, people, or risers.

I also like the mechanics of the Vapor. When you take the top-plate off (four side-mounted screws) there is some padding, and then your head, with two convenient areas on either side for putting things like wiring, or blow switch mechanisms. When I have worked on friends' FTPs, it is always more of a hassle to snake stuff through what I can only describe as a sub-shell underneath the plate.

Just my too sense...

Small detail: the vapor has a bigger backhead piece that coves the back of the head better then the FTP.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no