bomb420

Rotating Camera for 108-Way World Record

Jim Harris had the sickest mount ever during the 108 headdown record attempts. Ended up mounting a small motor and two gears up to a CX100 camera mount and allowing the camera to rotate during the entire skydive. He would turn it on right before exit so he would get the sickest shots. You can clearly see them in a few cuts of the main video seen here: 108 World Record

I'm a retard and did not take a picture of it but you all get the idea... That exit shot is one of the sickest shots I have ever seen on a record attempt. Also there is the cut where "soemone" had to rotate around 90% of the formation to find his slot. Jim's camera was perfectly in tune to this rotation. Take a look... Freaking Genius!
HYPOXIC

I recall a post about a camera mount that is able to track a target (target wears a tag). I believe it was being marketed for mountain bike crowd, but they mentioned it was extremely well built and robust so it should work in other sports to. I'll post a link if/when I find it.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Telemetrics manufacturers tracking systems, among other things.
Thomson/RCA/Grass Valley (they change their name yearly) also has an embedded xmitter/robotic head receive, but both systems (that I've seen) are too large and heavy for skydiving use. Xmitter is small, but receiver/robotic arm is large. Sony has a system that works for over-field grids such as you see on NFL or soccer games, so the camera is flying a wire-guided grid with limited options.

In short, CTS (camera tracking systems) as they stand now, aren't practical for skydiving, IMO.
But a micro "lazy susan" that merely rotates... very cool concept for freeflying!

Trunk, you're not a retard for not getting a photo of it, you were just an extremely busy guy while you were there. Thanks for your help again.

I've posted a jpg. so that you can see what Trunk is talking about.

As far as the camera being is snyc with Patrick carving around the formation, well the planets were aligned perfectly at that moment. Don't think anyone could make that one happen if they new when it was going to happen, it was just pure luck.

It did take a lot of thought before i even began ordering parts, a lot of which I didn't use. I didn't take a pic of it but there is a toggle switch on the other side of the helmet which powers the motor on and off via a 12v battery.

Thx Jim... I told you at the world record but wanted to reiterate, that I think this setup is brilliant. The footage from this camera is simply amazing even if some of it may be just be by luck.

This may be a decent place to state:
World Record 108 Way Video Camera setups

Jason Peters - Underneath - CX100 w/ Century .55x FTP w/ 5D
Brian Buckland - Underneath - HC1(3?) w/ Kenko .43 FTP w/ 5D MarkII
Norman Kent CX100 w/ no lens - Top/Side - FTP w/ XDCAM. Believe he shot some stills too.
Jim Harris CX100 w/ Century .55x - Inside Rotating - Bonehead Optik illusion
Craig O'Brian - Top - totally spacing.
HYPOXIC

That's one of the best new ideas in video in a long time.

The idea itself is kind of stupid for almost every jump under the sun, but for the one jump where there's something happening 360 around you, it's a stroke of genius. The timing was perfect, and the execution looks tight as well.

The shot of the guy carving around the outside is a godsend. What a perfect way to cap off a perfect jump.

Can you Youtube some complete jumps with that set-up? Even if it's not the record (so an not to step on any toes), I'd love to see a couple of the attempts from exit to opening going around in circles.

I remember an old movie from Leo Dickinson called "Right Up the Zipper", where they use a rotating 16mm cam to shoot, guess what? the first 100 way attempts in Deland in the eighties, but I think that one get stuck...all this from what I remember... Ill dig in my archive of old vhs tapes, and take a look.
Now should be the norm in big ways: the guy in the base get the roto-helmet :P
Awesome views! thanks for build it Jim!