LloydDobbler

*Another* CX-100 box question...

Hey, folks -

I'm trying to figure out which of the CX-100 boxes is the smallest/most form-fitting. Any suggestions between the 2k, Tonfly or Cookie boxes? Here's the background:

After a lot of research, I'm finally putting together a camera helmet. In the interest of versatility, I'm going with either a 2k Fuzion or a Tonfly CC1, with Zkulls mounts on both the top and sides. Going to be flying a CX-100 for video, and somewhere a couple hundred jumps down the line I'd like to add stills.

In some instances I'd like the video top-mounted, whereas at other times side-mounted. And I don't want to be flying with stills all the time. Hence, the 2x Zkulls.

Here's the thing: Since I plan to change from top-mount to side-mount on occasion, I'd like to have a narrower profile box. Most of the CX-100 boxes I see seem to be a good bit wider than the camera due to allowing space for an entire Hypeye-D Pro unit inside. But since I plan on changing it up, in an ideal world I'd mount the Hypeye switch inside the helmet and drill a hole for it - my thinking is that if I wanted to change mounts I could just unattach the Hypeye cable at the camera and re-route it through the other Zkulls.

So my questions for all you experienced folks:

1) Does this sound doable? (I know the ideal solution would probably be to just grab a Flattop Pro or a Mantle, but I'm not interested in a 100%-dedicated big-ass camera helmet right now. Maybe somewhere down the line, when/if I start shooting tandems).

2) Any ideas on which of the CX-100 boxes sports the narrowest profile? Or should I look into building my own?
Signatures are the new black.

Really? Interesting. Good to know. I haven't had the firsthand experience of working with a Hypeye yet, so I didn't know exactly what size requirements we're talking about for the connector.

I was thinking I had seen some pics when the Cookie box was first announced of a Hypeye controller mounted in the box on the side, but as it turns out, it was the 2k box - apparently they make different boxes for top- and side-mount. So I guess that was what was giving me that impression. Thanks for the info.

So I guess my questions have changed:

I hear that both the Cookie & Tonfly boxes support side-mounting AND top-mounting - can anyone confirm? Thoughts on whether that would be doable with one of the 2k or RAWA boxes? Any opinions on which one would be best for changing back-and-forth between side- and top-mounting?

Anyone have any idea which box is the slimmest? Has anyone compared the different boxes side-by-side?

Or even better - has anyone already done this? Which box did you go with, & how'd it work out?

Thanks, y'all.
Signatures are the new black.

I hear that both the Cookie & Tonfly boxes support side-mounting AND top-mounting - can anyone confirm? Thoughts on whether that would be doable with one of the 2k or RAWA boxes? Any opinions on which one would be best for changing back-and-forth between side- and top-mounting?

Anyone have any idea which box is the slimmest? Has anyone compared the different boxes side-by-side?

Or even better - has anyone already done this? Which box did you go with, & how'd it work out?

Thanks, y'all.

Cookie: It's the same box for side-mount and top-mount. Just the side-mount has predrilled side-mount holes. So this box could be converted from side to top-mount at any point. The camera is secured in their Blackbox with a camera screw through the bottom of the box into the camera.

Rawa: Two different boxes for side-mount and top-mount. The top-mount can be top-mounted to any flat surface. The side-mount can really only be mounted to a Rawa helmet since the side-mount box has a curve to it to match the curve of Rawa's helmets. The camera is secured in a Rawa box by the pressure of the closed box as the box is the exact size of the camera with a 70 battery.

Rawa's boxes are slimmer from side to side. The box is not setup to have the HypEye D Pro contained within the box, just plugged in through a hole.

Cookie's and Rawa's boxes are the same length. Cookie's Blackbox is setup to have the HypEye D Pro contained inside the box along with the 70 battery.

There are photos of both on my site.

Take care,
Mike
ChutingStar.com

cx100 boxes are wider not becouse hypeye unit but its connector

This may be so but the whole Hypeye D Pro will fit in the box including the cable along side the camera and, I might add, nicely so. It therefore can be fully contained in the box. The only thing that goes into the helmet is the indicator LED.