VTmotoMike08

Need help with external switches for digital stills

So... my blow switch is here now. As I should have know, there is still no easy solution. I am decided on using the blow switch- pro mouth is too little feed back and too hard to hold down for me and I can't use a bite switch because I have no jaw movement in my helmet. Actually, my pro mouth switch totally died the other day, go figure. I might try the hand switch, which is on order from who knows what warehouse in hong kong. (FYI- Ritz Camera closed 3 of 4 locations in my town because of the bad economy, no sales:( so I had to go to eBay for the hand switch)

Now I have to make a good solder and secure the housing of the blow switch on the back corner of an Optik Illusion while keeping it out of the way of my camera- should be interesting. I would like to hear how anyone else managed the bulk of the blow switch.

I guess this is all part of "growing up" as a camera flyer. I've been pretty good about playing by the rules, only adding one new component at a time, listening to those with more experience and taking it slow. Every time I add something new, I think it will be easy to deal with. But every step of the way, its harder than I think. I have pretty much figured out that the rest of this season is a learning experience and hopefully I can join the staff next year. O well, I am willing to spend the time to learn to do it right:)

I made my own tongue switch this week. I got the idea from another vidagrapher/friend. He'd made up a couple of them. So after doing some reading around and compiling a list of items I headed off to Radio Shack.

I bought one of these:
Right Angle Plug
and one of these:
Soft-Touch Momentary Switch
and a roll of this:
2-Conductor Intercom Wire

Sum total ~$13

Came home where I have a good soldering iron and some shrink wrap and set to work. Wala, 30 minutes later I had this. See attached pictures. I have since added some gaffers tape at both ends to help give it more strength. It also gives me something softer to bite into while holding it in my teeth. My main complaint with the other versions that I had seen/used was the lack of feedback telling me that I was triggering the shot. This switch gives me that. You know when it's not pressed. However it does not take much pressure at all. I've not jumped it yet, but so far all my testing around the house has gone great.

Hope this might be of a help to somebody else along the way.

I made my own tongue switch this week...

Looks good. My only comment is that all these components look way over-sized. The Radio Shack plug sticks out much further than pre-molded plugs, and I don't know if I would want that tooth breaker of a switch in my mouth. Whatever switch I use, I prefer to buy a cheap, non-OEM remote shutter release switch for the Canon (available from B&H or eBay), and cut off the plug and wire to use on my switch. These plugs are fairly low-profile, and I have sheared off the plug from a couple of SLRs in my time making the camera practically junk. Alternatively, you may try looking at Mouser Electronics for a larger variety of plugs and switches.

Thanks Phil, I'll check those out. The switch is not as big as the pictures make it appear. I'll try and get some pictures of it in the camera and on my helmet later when I'm at home. In any case, I'm all for getting it as small and low profile as possible.