tsalnukt

cx100 help

After many fruitless searches I am asking for help. I have a cx100 and a mac with FCE. I plug everything in and click on Log and Transfer and the screen comes up but how do I get my footage into the log and transfer screen? I am also having trouble with importing clips from imovie into fce. Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.thanks

I don't use Final Cut Express, but if it is anything like Final Cut Pro (probably) here's how it works...

In the log and transfer window, in the upper left, there is little icon of a folder with a plus (+) sign in it. Clicking this lets you navigate to wherever the files are.

Or, simply drag the entire "BDMV" folder into the log and transfer window, and all associated clips will show up there.

When I do that I get this warning

"BDMV" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

When I open the "stream" and "playlist" folders just by themselves there is nothing there. When I check the camera all the clips/files on the camera they are all there. Am i missing some settings or steps somewhere?

First question is which version of FCE are you using.
Phil nailed the second part; Is it an Intel-based proc? If not...game over.
Then, be sure you're importing entire file structure/folders intact. This is CRITICAL with Apple systems.

Do I have to shoot in HD to get it to work in FCE??

I have never imported SD footage from these cams, but the owners' manual says:

"Standard definition video recorded with AVCHD camcorders cannot be accessed in the Log and Transfer window."

I don't know if there is another way to import SD on this program but I suspect there is. Have you tried just using the "import files" (under the "File" menu) and directing it to the actual files?

That's it. Must be HD to work. Is there a way to convert the video I shot or so I can edit in FCE4 or should I just do it in imovie? thanks

Well...iMovie can edit it after conversion, or you could use the demo of StreamClip or Titanium to convert them. Converting the MPEG2 to IAC or ProRes is no big deal and takes little time.