tat2guy

rawa or cookie

Hey Josh....

I re-sent you that email with all that info ..... the stuff I got together for you the last time I was down in superior....
Give that guy a call...

talk to u soon

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

In my opinion, Cookie makes a superior product. The only drawback is the cost. You can get a complete Rawa setup for less than a similar Cookie setup. Main differences in the two that I would note are:

• Rawa seems to build their helmets and helmet/box pairs as an off the shelf item requiring little or no customisation. As a result, they tend to be more of a pain to customize due to features like glued in padding and rivetting the box in place. Cookie helmets are better suited to customisation.

• Rawa boxes - at least the one I have for my HC40 rely on pressure from a form-fitting box to hold the camera in place, while Cookie typically use a bolt in the base of the box/camera to secure the camera in place. This makes it possible to open the box and access the camera without totally removing it from the helmet. This could be used, for example, to open the screen while filming on ground/in plane or do things like adjust the focus.

• Rawa boxes use a gnurled, allen key bolt to close the box. While you can use your fingers to tighten and loosen it, it's a loose piece that you can lose if you're not careful and it sometimes can be quite tight and difficult to move after a few jumps. Cookie uses various styles of closing mostly using shock cord as the primary means of keeping the box closed in flight. That and the much larger head on the camera screw that secures the camera means that getting access to and/or removing the camera is generally easier.

• That said, I haven't seen the CX100 boxes from either manufacturer and it's possible that some of these features may have changed since I bought my Rawa. I ended up buying a Rawa helmet for my HC40 because of the price, however, given the opportunity to go back, I'd probably spend the extra money and buy a cookie.

I bought my Cookie about three years ago. At that time it was between the Rawa and Cookie for me also. I was looking for lightweight and comfort. I tried the Rawa on and it seemed comfortable enough but you had to put the camera box on yourself. I'm lazy. Cookie sent me a helmet that was ready to go out of the box. Also when I tried to contact Rawa (at the time) I would have needed to learn Portugese to comunicate. With Cookie all I had to learn was Austrailian.
    The helmet I got has the cutaway system on it. With the three ring (2) realese. You'll never get it super tight on your head like camera helmets of old because of that. However it is plenty tight enough. i have no complaints with the helmet, and I'd purchase another in a heartbeat.

What type of lens do you have?

I just bought a new RAWA (pronounced "HAVA") with a cx100 camera mount.

had to send it back b/c the hole that they pre-drilled would not work for the Hypeye Pro-D. If it DID fit flush, I would rate the helmet very high on the quality scale.

Pissed me off...

A guy at our dropzone just received his Cookie helmet with a cx100 mount and it was very nice. I was a little jealous....

I LOVE the Rawa helmet, if only they could fix this Hypeye-D pro issue...thats a pretty stupid design flaw if you ask me.

Nah, probably would have done the same thing the manufacture did...i would have drilled a hole in the wrong place and again, the Hypeye wouldn't have fit. i would rather send it back and let them correct the mistake. If I spend $400 on something, I don't want to have to "Ghetto-Rig" it...

you can see the attached image below....