lilchief

Thanks Dep Homeland Security..

So..I got a friend of mine to pick up my Vapor Wes Pro from skysystems before Easter and bring it overseas. He carefully packed it so it would break or get damaged during flight. BUT, then comes Deptartment of Homeland Security and checks his bag. They pick it up, look at it and puts it back without packing it as it was.

Now...I'm stuck with a damaged brand new flat top and the season starts in 2 days. yey... Even though the insurance covers this... I waited 2 months for it, and won't be able to get a new one before late in the season here in Norway.

My question is..is it safe to use it? The paint has chipped of just where the jaw part of the helmet starts, as if the jaw got an uppercut or got pulled down. It seems fine and is after all carbon, but how will it hold in freefall when i get a hard opening? Has anybody had any experiences with this?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

show some detailed pics of the damage.....
I doubt very much that chips will bother the intended use of the helmet....but without showing the damage know one can help u figure it out.....
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

...could have been worse:( I met someone who's reserve pin (yest the pin it self) was cut with the bolt-cutter to check the reserve!
...anyway a chipped paint shouldn't be an issue as long as it's only the paint.
If you post a picture or two people will take a look for sure.
insurance? good luck with that...
I'm sorry to hear this though.

here are two shots of the most severe damages. Carey at Skysystems advised me not to jump it, but I can't stop jumping it until I get a new shell =( I've reinforced it with a proper tape, but I'll also add glue to it.

The insurance company is currently being easy and is not giving me any trouble so far. I hoe it continues.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

>It seems fine and is after all carbon, but how will it hold in freefall when
>i get a hard opening?

Carbon composite is stiff but brittle. Once you flex it as far as this has obviously been flexed you lose much of the strength.

I'd try to flex the bottom of the helmet hard and see if there's any play in the chin piece. If there is, you probably shouldn't use it, because it will offer little protection/retention. A good kick could then break it, resulting in sharp edges near your face and loss of helmet.

What you need is a little gel coat... Call Express Composits in Minneapolis or any local Resin suplier. Jim, at Express can send you some Black gel coat and hardner. Just sand the area, apply the gel coat, sand and polish... Good as new. If not, I'll buy it?? What do you need for it?

http://www.expresscomposites.com/ ask for Jim
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

>It seems fine and is after all carbon, but how will it hold in freefall when
>i get a hard opening?

Carbon composite is stiff but brittle.......

We use this stuff to build Supermileage Cars
http://mtea.net/supermileage/index.htm

I've seen parts be abused again and again! Carbon Fiber is extreamly durable. And, when damaged can be esily fixed. Take the insurance money... fix that helmet and recycle it. One mans garbage is another mans gold!!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."