freefalle

basic editing questions

Ok, I recently bought a new lap top 4gig ram Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache and a 320gb hard drive. I think this is a good enough computer to do video editing. Now my intention is to buy sony Vegas movie studio platinum, I'll be picking that up this week. I'm trying to start doing video editing on the computer. I'm ordering a CX100 the beginning of May but for now I'm shooting with mini DV. All that being said here's my question.

I shot a 4 way video today, one of the people on the jump wanted a copy of the video so I told him I'd burn it to a DVD for him.

I used Window Movie Maker to edit the video then I burnt it to a dvd the video seemed "grainy" and a bit "blurry" with movement. It didn't look that way when I watched the tape on the camera. Are my issues caused by window movie maker, or is it because I'm editing mini DV on the computer or what? Will using Sony Movie Studio give a better quality video when I burn it to a DVD?

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but I really don't know that much about Non Linear Editing so I thanks for the help.

What quality are you importing the miniDV video as and what quality are you exporting to? If you let it, WMM will pick quality settings for you which you do not want it to do. Import as AVI high quality files not compressed WMV files or whatever it's trying to do. Try editing/burning with AVI files as your source, should produce better DVDs.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Windows movie maker cannot export a quality MPEG 2 file. It's that simple. You cannot make it work.
Cold, huh?:P

When you get Platinum, this becomes easy.
The import of DV media is always the same with WMM...it's a DV avi file. Always. It's the export that'll kill you...The encoder in WMM is worse than terrible. It's free....and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Micro$oft should be ashamed of themselves, they're members of MPEG.
Movie Studio will give you a very high end professional DVD output.

Hey freefalle....

I'm new to all this also....
I also just installed sony vegas movie studio platinum v9.0
when I first started to try and figure things out....it was like......oooooooooooooo shit...what am i getting myself into....

what I did was goto vasst.com and order a few dvds and book....

1. Vegas Movie Studio+DVD Training DVD
Ver. 9 (VMS, VMS Platinum, and VMS Platinum Pro Pack)

2. Tandem Video's Made Easy

these 2 purchases where very helpful and a few hours later I was editing video alot easier...

hope this helps u out
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"