Demian

DIY Jumpsuits

I promise this is the last jumpsuit question I will post (don't hold me to that).

I've aquired a cool, and inexpensive jumpsuit via DZ.com's classifieds. However, I would still like to experiement with making my own.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a pattern for the suits, or if you know where I could get my hands on one?? Or, how hard would it be to duplicate the one that I already have? Mind you, I don't know much about making my own clothes.....

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

Heres my .02
I got a pair of disposable cover alls from a paint store.Home depot may have them and a good auto parts store will too, I think they are made out of a material called tyvek, it's sort of plastic/paper/fabric.they use as a vapor barrier when building a new house. Anyway ,get a pair in a size thats way to big,you can cut, tape, glue etc. to get the custom shape and size you desire. cut it apart at the seams, when you trace around it on the fabic of your choice leave some extra mat'l for the seams. you can make cuffs,pockets,dual zippers etc. anything you like
for fabric I used a heavy cotton with a duck lining on the inside in strategic places ie:butt,knees,elbows
anyway good luck and have fun, nice thing is you can get pretty creative, if you can get them in a 2 or 3 pack and you don't like your first attempt throw it out and try again, or make a couple of different styles ...

My Decisions are based on Calculation, Not fear or Emotion.
Crazy is a matter of one's own perspective

If you want a pattern you can go to a fabric store where they sell patterns. Look through the catalog of patterns where they show different types of clothes. Find the teenage punk kid wearing hughe bell bottom looking rave gear and buy that pattern. Patterns also tell you where to sew and which peices should be sewn in which order. And if you are lucky there are hot chicks at the fabric store.
...FUN FOR ALL!

Have fun. It's not hard, but will take some time to get it right. I studied every jumpsuit I could, then made my own pattern. I first used cheap cloth and just basted it together until it fit okay, then cut that apart for the final pattern. Now I've made three suits, and the fit gets better each time.

I like the tyvek overalls idea. Wish I'd thought of that!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Green pepper has a sewing pattern for a rain/wind suit that looks a lot like an old skydiving suit. It would probably be good for the main parts (and you would have instructions as to how to go about making a jumpsuit) and it shouldn't be that hard to alter.

Make your first one out of inexpensive fabric.

Oh, and Seattle Fabrics has some great material (supplex, polycotton, etc) for making your own suits out of, plus you can send away for the color samples.

Find the teenage punk kid wearing hughe bell bottom looking rave gear and buy that pattern.

Hey!

Actually... you made me consider jumping in my phatties for a second there. Then I realised, they get breezy enough on a cold day on the ground.

Ooooh.

I'd have to duct tape the bottoms to my ankles, and probably fly with my arms forward a ways... whee! I'm a potato chip.

Second realisation: the person who made my pants might be a good person to ask about a jumpsuit. Cheers :)
(In the context of the discussion, that emoticon is just wrong...)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?