richclive

Pre-Eos still camera?

Having lurked and searched I know that the Canon is the way to go for the best images, but I'm concerned about adding that much bulk (and value) to a top mount.

So, assuming that I'm not about to win the lottery, is there a lower profile and cheaper still camera alternative anyone would recommend for a video jockey wanting to add stills to his repertoire?

Cheers

Rich

Pre-eos is the wrong term to use: the 35mm cameras that came out before the digital eos cameras were also eos cameras, pre-eos means HEAVY, OLD, manual-focus SLRs :S

I'd still recommend a digital eos, the beginner ones (300D up to 1000D) are lightweight and relatively cheap. The alternative is buying a non-SLR camera but there are only a few select models that are suitable and wiring a remote isn't easy - do a search on these forums for who sells ready-modded cameras. But you'd be spending as much as a 2nd hand older DSLR with kit lens.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Ooops - was less than clear in the title. When I said pre-Eos I was thinking more that before splashing out on the Canon, was there a smaller non-SLR to try out which would be less expensive and less snaggable, and would let me see how I got on with still photography - I'm under no illusions that it's a very different discipline.

From your reply I think I might be looking as biting the bullet and seeing if there are any 350s are on eBay...

>is there a lower profile and cheaper still camera alternative anyone
>would recommend for a video jockey wanting to add stills to his
>repertoire?

Well, for low cost you could get a Sony DSC-V1. It's an old, cheap ($50 used) 5 megapixel camera. You'll need a LANC remote and a wide angle lens as well. Needless to say it won't work all that well, but it's small and inexpensive.

Or just get a GoPro Hero. Smaller still and relatively cheap ($200)

Canon elph with the mod for remote shutter release. $10 camera and however much someone wants to charge for the mod.

Note: you didn't specify if it had to be digital. These are film cameras but perfect for learning on before spending the big bucks.