ntrprnr

Best Prosumer Video Camera - Not necessarily for Skydiving alone?

Hey gang...

One of my latest ventures has started growing a bit more, and I need to purchase a new camcorder for it. Not worrying about price, could you recommend your best suggestion for a Prosumer camcorder model? Not necessarily for jumping with? (i.e., image stabilization isn't mandatory)

Thanks! :)

...best suggestion for a Prosumer camcorder model?

Man, that's like asking what is the best car to buy. You'll need to give lots more info as to what you want to shoot, what your audio needs are, what your lighting is like, what your budget is, etc., etc., etc.

I have a Sony HVR-V1U and an HVR-A1U. I love the V1U for my uses. I video long stuff (mostly event videos), and like the recording time and instant archive of tape. Plus I need XLR audio inputs. I love being able to store given shot profiles, and the big batteries last a long time. My biggest complaint is that the low light performance isn't that great (it's worse on the A1U). Sometimes that's an issue, sometimes it isn't.

Your needs may vary...
If you were doing lots of short video blogs, you may not need the recording time of tape, and the real-time capturing could be a PITA. Maybe a built-in, or cheap hi-Z mic is all you need. Give us some more info.

sony xdcam ex1 if you have the duckets,, can u buy me one with a 16 gig card too please. ill be your best friend. B|

Having seen one a few time all I can say is WOW! Nice camera..

Looks here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520761-REG/Sony_PMWEX1UC_PMW_EX1_XDCAM_EX_SxS.html

and of course you will need this as well

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/575354-REG/Vasst_XDEX_DVD_Inside_the_Sony.html

Who knows maybe DSE will sign a copy ;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Very good points. Thanks Pharmer. I'm focusing mostly on short, two-minute video blogs... I'm thinking of going with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P3P3B2

Heard good things so far.

Could always try a sony CX-12, i dont use it for skydiving yet, but will eventually when i have the jump numbers, since it has flash memory. right now i use it for regular video and underwater video, very happy with the picture quality
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I think for what you are doing any prosumer cam will work. Is low light a issue? I know for most people it isnt because you can just shoot with a on camera light. are XLR inputs a must? I use a canon XHA1. I love it for the most part. the manual zoom is a little crappy and the manual focus is a bit tricky. It has a peaking feature and a distance read out which helps. The only other negative is that it is tape base only. (not always a negative). You will want a big battery though. I dont think the batteries on the canons last like sony batteries do. It does have a 20x lens and alot of ergonomically placed switches and controls. That means you dont have to go to the menu to make alot of adj. If you take stills to the memory card very often you wil like this camera. It has alot of options and manual adjustments for stills. Although the colors arent quite as rich as seen with some sighty higher priced cameras. It seems to be durable and in true canon fasion they covered every inch of this thing with buttons but not as many "trap" doors as the old XL series. The only trap door controls are the video play back controls which are located in the carry handle as with all canon prosumers. I might add that I love the LCD flip out. It has nice resolution but mostly I love the placement of it. Also the viewfinder and the LCD operate at the same time and can be color or B&W

one more thing........I dont know if its important but there is no int. rec. So if you are doing any time lapse it will be in post.
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down