soulbabel

Comments on Sanyo Xacti 2009 models?

Sanyo's about to release new Xacti models for 2009, and was wondering if some people could chime in on whether they'd be good for the sport. According to the specifications, the image stabilization is digital, so maybe it can be disabled. It also looks like the Full HD (1080p/60fps) models are available in a horizontal or vertical body.

http://www.sanyo.com/news/2009/01/21-1en.html

Link to specifications:
http://www.sanyo.com/news/2009/01/img/090121xacti.pdf

From what I've read, the new models use "ISO standard MPEG-4 AVC/H.264", so that's another improvement I suppose.

Also, I've come across a hands-on first look already (although the models numbers are slightly changed, it looks like the same cameras from the photos):
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/hands-on-sanyo-vpc-fh1-and-vpc-hd2000-20090121/
It doesn't look like there's any recording samples, but the hands-on video is available in HD on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEbdl4gmHkE

I don't know if lens attachment was an issue on older models, but it shows him screwing on a "0.7x wide lens with macro" fairly easily.

No one seems too interested in this camera, but I'll still post what helpful information I find about this camera:

Recent review:
http://www.itreviewed.co.uk/rev.php?id=897

Link to its related video review on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxWc5vGVqH8

Another review:
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/3806/4830/sanyo-xacti-vpc-hd2000-camcorder.phtml

I perfectly understand that, but.... on the other hand we would only be jumping now Javs with PD's in them if there were no other factories getting into the market...

I hope Sanyo and others will kick Sony's ass one day for benefit of all of us. I had this cam in my hand but I did not decided to buy without feedback from others (too much $$$). So... is there anyone jumping them yet?
Janusz
Back to Poland... back home.

We would only be jumping Javs and PD canopies if every other container and canopy broke after 100 jumps or so.

People have tried other brands, and they rarely work out. Regardless, people keep trying, and nothing pans out.

The reason that I doubt it will change is that none of factories are designing cameras for freefall use. The fact that Sonys work as well as they do in freefall is just luck. In truth, I always cringe when they come out with a new generation of cameras, because sooner or later, whatever magic dust they put in there is going to run out, and the Sonys will die after 100 jumps too.

People have tried other brands, and they rarely work out. Regardless, people keep trying, and nothing pans out.

That is not true, my old DZ moved to solid state cameras and the sonys proved to be the worst.

The samsungs had to have the focus reset everytime they are turned on but that was overcome.

The sonys had image stabaliser problems that were not overcome.

The panasonics worked really well.

No Sanyos yet but I was also interested in them when I looked.

the new sony with the electronic image stabaliser looks like a winner though , but the cx7 and cx12's proved to be no good for an 'all round' camera flyer.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

That is not true, my old DZ moved to solid state cameras and the sonys proved to be the worst

Solid state? Sounds like a recent switch, how long ago was this?

When you can jump camera full time for five years, and it still works, then you have something. I put close to ten years on a PC-1 with something in the neighborhood of 3000 jumps. A buddy who bought his PC-1 when I bought mine is still jumping his (he does fewer jumps with a camera though).

Show me the other brand that can match that reliability, and I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the longest lasting brand available. As much as I like cameras, buying them is not my favortire part.

Solid state? Sounds like a recent switch, how long ago was this?

6 months ago. not a smooth transition by any means but that was a lack of understanding by the management rather than the fault of the technology.

When you can jump camera full time for five years, and it still works, then you have something. I put close to ten years on a PC-1 with something in the neighborhood of 3000 jumps. A buddy who bought his PC-1 when I bought mine is still jumping his (he does fewer jumps with a camera though).

Show me the other brand that can match that reliability, and I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'm sticking with the longest lasting brand available. As much as I like cameras, buying them is not my favortire part.

those days are gone, tell me a camera since the PC350 that has proven its worth as well as the early PC's, they cost $1000's and they were worth every cent.

nowdays things are quite different indeed.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

6 months ago. not a smooth transition by any means but that was a lack of understanding by the management rather than the fault of the technology.

Yeah, 6 months. My problem with other brand cameras was never that they didn't function, any new camera should turn on and record, the problem was that they didn't hold up under freefall conditions. Give it 16 months, and see how many of those other cameras are still running at 100%.

You may very well be right about the 'good old days'. It's entirely possible that Sonys new stuff may fold up after a season or two as well. At least the prices seem to have 'adjusted' as well. I paid $1200 for a PC-1 in 1998, and it looks like Sonys new CX100 is half of that price in 2009 dollars.

Yeah, 6 months. My problem with other brand cameras was never that they didn't function, any new camera should turn on and record, the problem was that they didn't hold up under freefall conditions.

exact date for the firts lot to change over was july, which is really 8 months ago which would equalaround 600 jumps, in high humidity, on a sand wet beach.

probably the worst environment you could imagine for electronics.

the problem with the sonys has not been longlivity niether the samsung or panasonics, it has been the optical image stabaliser which for a whuffo is all good, flying in a burble however has proven to produce less than sellable images even when brand new.

the CX100 or whatever it is seems to have eliminated this problem with electronic image stabaliser but only time will tell how long these cameras will last.

If the trend is like any othe modern appliance, they will likely not last very long at all, so we buy another one sooner rather than later.

A mate has bought one of these and from what i have seen the footage is very crisp and exceptional in low light. He uses for both skydiving and BASE with no real problems as far as i am aware? I'll let him know about this post and see if he can throw some comments on here for you all.