parachutist

Aluminum vs. Plastic side-release wing clips

Has anyone tried metal clips like these for connecting camera wings? I like the plastic ones but they eventually break. Browsing through Petsmart I saw some dog collars with these metal side-release clips... they look really strong and operate smoothly, but they're heavier than plastic.

http://www.batzusa.com/batz/product.php?id=625

Just wondering if anyone has already tried them & if so how did they work for you?

snap shackle. I get mine from a marine supply. Much cheaper than a skydiving supply. I had Fastex on my first jacket/wings, and after two breaks, went to the RSL/snap shackle.

I have fastex clips on my bev suit but if they every break I'll probably replace them with rsl type shackles...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have always used the metal RSL clips for my wings (I forget what they are really called). I have never had one wear out, and they are very easy to disconnect.

disconnecting those shackles is easy, but finding the ring & pushing the arm through, then making it snap into place while wearing gloves is not so easy for me.

I like the plastic side-release clips because it's bigger, making it easy to find both pieces & push them together with 1 hand.... but they break. That's why I'm wondering about these metal clips... maybe best of both worlds: metal like the shackles, but ease of use like the plastic clips?

you can dremmel down a small part of the "bar" that goes through the hole. then it is VERY easy to close. some of the rsl clips are hard to do. and after a while you'll get used to is anyway and be able to do it with one hand.
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.