EXTremeWade

Video Board Intro Video..

I was curious if there is a video board out there, that will allow you to pre-record a little trailer, or intro for your dropzone, before your tandem is up for their video and interview, thus making the final product looking a bit more finished than what I am using now. I would love ot be able to show little clips of some freeflying, RW, and other tandems in a cool little clip and then that would fade into the the student you are working with. I feel that would make the DVD look better, and more valuable for the money they spend for their first experience.

Any help...?

Wade

we use this kind of intro for 4 years now ...

nothing really hard : each winter the DZ orders a 30secs clip to one of the cam flyers willing to do so.

then it's up to your creativity in terms of edition.

cheers !
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Hey man...I know about that too. People get creative, and use the best one. what I was really meaning to ask, on my fault that is, was how exactly that is done. Do you pre-burn your DVD's, and if so, how do you pre-burn them without having the DVD burner re-write over the footage you want after the intro on the pre-bunred DVD that you worked so hard for?

Are there video boards that can hold a certain amount of space where some intro can be laded into them, so when you burn your DVD, it includes the pre-loaded intro with the skydive you last editied? I am lost as how to describe what I am imagining here, for an intro to be on the DVD.

the way we do it (doesn't mean this is THE way to do it :P ) :

when the intro is done in .avi file we copy it on all the 4 edition stations. the cam flyers just have to drag it in our edition software each time they work for a customer ... easy and simple !

--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Me and a few other tandem vid guys do it the dirt cheap way but some of the other video guys at my DZ do it more sophisticated/with mixing board. I got around the intro by working up a 30 sec video and still intro on my windows movie maker and then burned that file on a DVD. I have small $25 DVD player hooked into my DVD burner and sort of pre-burn the intro segment onto say 10 DVD's before the day starts. As long as you don't finalize the DVD, the intro just sits there as a "chapter". The additional video that you feed in ( I go directly from my vid camera to the burner and only add music) also then becomes another chapter. It's quick and easy and takes no time at all and looks pretty decent for very little editing effort. I think the key is really to make sure your video of the tandem skydive or whatever is cleanly/well shot/lit with some interesting quick fades etc etc and then you can avoid using a mixing board altogether. it's the meat that counts. If you intro is great but your video sucks, it's not going to make up for it... trust me, I know :D
The camera itself should allow you to slow mo-reverse slo mo etc which adds some additional "fun" to the video ( exits etc.) it's worked for me this year and it's simple to get the hang of and get a video out to the customer finalized in 8 minutes tops ...which can be instrumental when you have 10 jumps to do that day.

Deci, you're the one confused, I think...
There are two software tools called "Edition."
Premiere "Edition"
Canopus Edius "Edition"
And Pinnacle had one called "Liquid Edition" for years until Avid killed it.
I thought you were referring to one of these tools, vs meaning "editing" software/tools.

I am lost as how to describe what I am imagining here, for an intro to be on the DVD.

Cheapest/easiest way I've found to do what I think you're looking for: Use a standard linear editing board & hook up a cheap portable DVD player (with a little LCD screen) to one of the inputs.

Burn a DVD with your 30 sec intro vid... put that disc into the portable player. Start off each recording session by playing that DVD... at the end of the DVD fade from the player to the camera & start playing the jump footage.

It works pretty well. NLE would still be better, though