billvon

HC1 vs HC5 shootout

Last week I made a few jumps with an HC1 and an HC5 on the same helmet (Flattop) with the same lenses (Digital Concepts "High Definition .45X Wide Angle Lens") to see what differences there were. Both had image stabilization on and auto focus off. When played back on a good monitor, the video from the HC1 was noticeably more stable. The color on the HC5 was a bit more vivid, although it's a little hard to tell just now since everything in Perris is just varying shades of brown.

Both had image stabilization on

Why :S

No wonder there is a difference in stability. If you turn it off on both the footage improves, the only thing i notice that if i happen to look down a bit on opening sometimes the world wobbles/waves slightly for a bit with my HC5. Don't think that happens on the A1 and HC1 we have at the DZ but saw the same on another HC5. Besides that, no difference with image stabilization with these 3 cameras.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Both had image stabilization on

Why :S

No wonder there is a difference in stability. If you turn it off on both the footage improves, the only thing i notice that if i happen to look down a bit on opening sometimes the world wobbles/waves slightly for a bit with my HC5. Don't think that happens on the A1 and HC1 we have at the DZ but saw the same on another HC5. Besides that, no difference with image stabilization with these 3 cameras.

I also have that sometimes, I think it is the flexibility of the lens suspension system, Not really bad and only lasts 1 second. Tried horizontal till vertical on opening (Handcam) Does not happen always
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

>I also have that sometimes, I think it is the flexibility of the lens suspension system, . . .

The HC1 and HC5 are electronic stabilization systems, and thus do not use lens suspension systems (other than for the usual focus/zoom accommodations.)

>I also have that sometimes, I think it is the flexibility of the lens suspension system, . . .

The HC1 and HC5 are electronic stabilization systems, and thus do not use lens suspension systems (other than for the usual focus/zoom accommodations.)

True, but the wobble still happens. SOMETHING seems to be moving [:/] Although it´s not that big of a deal really.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

SOMETHING seems to be moving [:/]

my guess is the same thing (element) that moves to allow you to focus...

I have seen a PC9, a HC96, a PC1000 and the HC5 exhibit blurriness during deployments, which coincides with high accellerations/decellerations.

It's more prevelant in BASE jumping due to the higher forces of BASE canopy deployment than a skydiving canopy deployment.

just my theory

SOMETHING seems to be moving [:/]

my guess is the same thing (element) that moves to allow you to focus...

I have seen a PC9, a HC96, a PC1000 and the HC5 exhibit blurriness during deployments, which coincides with high accellerations/decellerations.

It's more prevelant in BASE jumping due to the higher forces of BASE canopy deployment than a skydiving canopy deployment.

just my theory

I know what you mean but it´s not the same effect. Might have the same cause though but it looks quite different. Next time it happens I´ll save the video :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

if the EIS component measures two values at the same point, it will take the lesser value as the base point, if I understand the engineering team correctly. So...a hot pixel occurring at the same time as a lesser exposed pixel, it will make the image seem to be moving. This is occasionally a problem when refractions are common.

if the EIS component measures two values at the same point, it will take the lesser value as the base point, if I understand the engineering team correctly. So...a hot pixel occurring at the same time as a lesser exposed pixel, it will make the image seem to be moving. This is occasionally a problem when refractions are common.

But I always jump with EIS turned OFF. It shouldn´t be doing anything anymore :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

This flubber might be caused by flexibility of the total suspension system, including zoom/focus system
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!