Peej

Have you ever shot stills with the XT Kit flash?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but i'm gonna ask it anyway. Have any of you ever shot late afternoon/ early evening stills with the Rebel XT flash?

The reason i ask is we went on a very late sunset load this past weekend and the sun was almost gone by the time we got out. Now an extra flash is something i've been wanting to invest in for a while but haven't had the money to, and it struck me in the plane that exiting with the flash open would probably rip it off the camera as soon as the wind caught it but if you were filming in a belly down orientation, wouldn't the flash be in the burble of your helmet?

What do you think, possible or not?

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

In the past I have used the built-in flash in my old Rebel 2000 film camera. I can't imagine it is any better than the XT flash. Worse in fact because I believe the maximum flash sync speed was 1/160th (shutter speed). But an advantage when it is dark out is that the flash is actually much faster than the shutter and freezes some action. Here's a shot way past sunset:

http://www.philroberson.com/Image%20Pages%20Folder/J1432b.htm

If you click the "BACK" button you can see another shot of the exit. Way better than nothing...

I have a 20D which is similar to the rebel series. The flash is quite flimsy and I'm not sure I'd trust it to last very long if it were used a lot in freefall. For ground photography I find the internal is limited and only good in a pinch but I'm also concerned that a larger flash like my 580 may have too much stress on the shoe. Maybe you could externally mount something on the helmet but I'd be afraid of snags.

Yeah i'm not talking about continued use, the amount of jumps we do in very low light is almost negligible, besides, with the canopy i jump i prefer to land while it's still light. Some guys out there are jumping with an external flash, and that's what i'd like to do when i can afford it. Wanted to know if the kit flash was a good quick fix and judging by the results that Dave and Phil have shown, it is :)

... so you didn't have any problems with the flash being damaged by the wind?

Not yet,...

But obviously an external flash is far preferable.

(P.S. Hackish: You have no business flying with a camera at all this stage much less an external flash too. But no, you don't mount external flashes directly to the shoe of the camera.)

hey peej,

i have not used the flip up and have the 580 ex II. but i got stuck on a tandem load that was very very late as well on a turn and did not have time to set it up.. i went to iso 1600 (which made me cringe at the time), 240 shutter (again cringe) and TV. i would recommend manual focus too if you can if u normally use auto. the pics came out very well for having almost no light and i was very surprised.. so for anyone else who gets in this last desperate stage, there is a suggestion. thanks ed for your help on that one in the bird. peej, sorry for the hijack, but might help someone else in the future. also talk to TM about whether you want to face or away from sun based on the effect u want.
dont let life pass you by

Hey Sinj,

No wucking furries dude, that's great advice ;)

I was actually unsure of what to in that kind of light (i'm not the world's greatest at photography or settings, i kind of know what works in certain lights and am trying to learn others) so i got my TI to face into the sun (or what was left of it).and mucked with my settings a bit and the pics came out ok, some blurry :)

Rather than putting my 580 on for some jumps, I've used the built-in flash. I did gaff a small bit of foam over the shoe so that the flash couldn't bounce down, just to add stability to the flash flanges.

y'know...might be fun/funny to see Michael mount a 580 on the 20D hotshoe and jump it. :D:D:D:D:|[:/]

Rather than putting my 580 on for some jumps, I've used the built-in flash. I did gaff a small bit of foam over the shoe so that the flash couldn't bounce down, just to add stability to the flash flanges.

That's not a bad idea... thanks B|

Don't make too much fun. Some years ago I hurt my Mamiya 645 Pro doing something stupid on a moving truck. Similar type situation - it couldn't take the vibration but that camera is a little different hot shoe is on the side.

-Michael

y'know...might be fun/funny to see Michael mount a 580 on the 20D hotshoe and jump it. :D:D:D:D:|[:/]

Some years ago I hurt my Mamiya 645 Pro doing something stupid on a moving truck. Similar type situation - it couldn't take the vibration but that camera is a little different hot shoe is on the side.

Actually, that story makes it even more fun to poke at.
Doing something stupid on a moving truck is arguably safer than doing something stupid with a camera on your head filming tandems at this point in your career.

Actually, that story makes it even more fun to poke at. Doing something stupid on a moving truck is arguably safer than doing something stupid with a camera on your head filming tandems at this point in your career.

Yes but that would require me to be jumping with tandems and a camera at this point in my career to be a laughable situation.

-Michael

No, been practising exits with a tandem, no camera and I leave before him so I can practise maintaining levels from 100' away. I've only ever jumped with a camera on my head once and that was with 2 other experienced jumpers. It went to shit because I wasn't prepared for the effect of a giant heavy camera on my head.

-Michael

No, been practising (sic) exits with a tandem, no camera...I've only ever jumped with a camera on my head once...

Either one is stupid at your level of inexperience. The fact that you do both (whether at the same time or not) also reflects poorly on your judgment, and therefore recommends that you take even more time than the average jumper before trying these things.

The fact that you also disregard the preponderance of advice from vastly more experienced skydivers, makes me question whether you should be in this sport at all.