lintern

Best video editing software

I want to buy a video editing package but I'm not sure what to get.

What are the best packages out there for under £100 ?

What do most people tend to use ?

I want to use it for general purpose video editing as well as skydiving footage.

I have a Sony PC105 camcorder and want to edit video on my Dell 1520 laptop, which has the following specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)
- 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
- nVidia GeForce Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory
- 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
- Windows XP Professional
- 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
- 15.4" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display with TrueLife

Best video editing software

What do most people tend to use

So do you want best or do you want what most people use? ;) In either case, google this: "JFGI"
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Oh and I did google it (JFGI) :P

Ive spent hours looking but there are so many packages out there.

Adobe Premiere Elements 4 or Pinnacle Studio 12 or Ulead VideoStudio all seem to get mixed reviews, depending on which website you look at.

Im thinking of going for Pinnacle Studio 12 simply because Ive used an older version of Pinnacle to do a simple video.

It didnt seem very stable tho (crashed alot) but this may have been because it wasnt a legit copy or the fact my old laptop was not powerful enough ?

A few of my friends use Premier and love it. I dont like it - too complicated and too demanding on system resources. I personally use Ulead and love it - has almost ALL of the same functions as Adobe, and a lot simpler/easier on the PC. The good thing is - you can download a trial version of most programs to test them out.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

I started using Sony Vegas last year and really like using it.

Scott

I've tried most of them... Vegas seems easiest to pick up and fastest to work with... and keeps a very similar interface between version changes so you never have to re-learn.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

"JFGI"

how did I know what that meant right when I saw it?

anyway I love Pinnacle.... used it from version 7 up to 12 and have no issues with 12.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I used Sony Vegas 7.0 Platinum Edition for a year or so. It is quite good and if you get the version with the DVD software you can make decent compilation discs with it. I have since moved to a Mac and switched to Final Cut HD and found them to be about the same.

Avid used to offer a free version of their editing software but they ceased that. If you can find a copy of that I think you'll find it does the job nicely. Avid's top editing program is used for commercial movies (as is Apple's Final Cut Studio).

I picked up Vegas and was quite happy with it. It was easy to learn and wasn't very expensive. For the PC I'd probably stick with it.
For the Mac, well I've been learning Final Cut Express and while I'm extremely impressed with the power of cheapest of the FC products, I must say that there are a few things that bug me, such as dealing with file compatibilities and incessant rendering. But that's another thread.

Vegas. Cheap. Powerful. Intuitive. And did I mention "cheap"?

I used Sony Vegas 7.0 Platinum Edition for a year or so. It is quite good and if you get the version with the DVD software you can make decent compilation discs with it. I have since moved to a Mac and switched to Final Cut HD and found them to be about the same.

This bears repeating. Sony's 69.00 software is quite similar to Apple's 1699.00 software with regard to editing. Except it doesn't require conforming framerates, allows AVDHD, HDV, SD, DV, and HDCAM on the same timeline regardless of framerate.
:P