popeyefireman

just some questions

I crossed posted it in CRW

I did some crw jumps and really loved it and had some questions. How is a retractable pilot chut retraced and how is it attached? What do they mean when the say take out the cascades, does that mean you have more lines? I fly a triathlon now and want to get a second one. I just want to know how to set it up. Thanks

Adam

"I Yam what I Yam"

I am not afriad to die, only to die without living.

Taking out the cascades: The two AB centerlines are replaced with four lines, thick red 800lb Dacron for the two As and microline for the two Bs.

A retractable has 4 rings, two in the center and one on each side about halfway between the endcell and center on each side. On Triathlons, an 800 lb Dacron line is anchored on one of the center rings, feeds through one of the side rings, then across the canopy to the other side ring, then back through the other center ring, then through a closing pin, d-bag and attaches to the pilot chute. When the canopy is collapsed (all the rings are together) there is excess line between the last center ring and d-bag which acts as a bridle. When the canopy deploys and expands the excess line is drawn up over the canopy retracting the pilot chute into the d-bag and up onto the top of the canopy against the center feed ring.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

There are a couple of ways to retract a p/c. Most CReW canopies have additional bridle attachment points spread out across the top skin. When the canopy inflates, it pulls the bridle (which is generally Dacron line) through the additional rings, thus pulling the p/c up onto the canopy and out of the way. You can also use the slider to reef the p/c in, but most dedicated CReW canopies use the previous method.

CReW canopies often have several of their key "A" lines non-cascaded. It lets you slide up and down the lines without getting caught up in the cascade points.

To my knowledge, you can't get Triathlons with retract p/c systems, but you can get them with CReW linesets (Dacron....always dacron).

The important thing to remember about CReW is that you'll make you life a lot easier if you and the folks you jump with all have the same model canopy, loaded about the same. We fly Lightnings out here, loaded at 1.3, and it works well for us, but we had a guy come to play on a Triathlon loaded about the same and he couldn't even stay in the dive. Different trim issues, different flight characteristics.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

To my knowledge, you can't get Triathlons with retract p/c systems, but you can get them with CReW linesets (Dacron....always dacron). ***

I owned a Triathlon with a retractable a few years ago. I would say the option has been available for at least 5-6 years if not longer.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I owned a Triathlon with a retractable a few years ago. I would say the option has been available for at least 5-6 years if not longer.

Cool, I didn't know that! See, you learn something new every day!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."