Hockie

Panasonic sd9..

I just bought an SD7 because it is a pistol grip, is miniscule, weighs half a pound, and is 3 (albeight small) CCD's. Had to get from an importer. I haven't used it yet, but I'd like to hear any comments while I can still return it in new condition!

You'll probably be the first to test, since (afaik) this is a japanese only model and I don't know of many japanese jumpers hangin' around here...
There is no PAL model of this cam, so there won't be any europeans using it.

But please test it and post your results. It looks like a sweet lil' camera perfect to replace the old PCx cams.

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

This reply is short because when i hit spell check on my reply 2 minutes ago, IE decided it needed to close and everything vaporized.
I also need to preface these remarks with the fact that I'm just looking for an HD helmet cam for fun jumping, would like a picture better than Std Def, and am not a high level video pro trying taking 3d IMAX pictures from my helmet. That is to say, Im not worried about theoretical "this has higher bit rate than that." I judge subjectively about the overall quality of experience from filming to playback.

I jumped 3 models this weekend:Sanyo Xacti, Panasonic SD7, and the Sony CX7. The Xacti won in my opinion:smallest, lightest, simplest to operate. best freeze frames, 2nd best color saturation, no stability issues. The PC1000 boxes are way too big-I used an open L-bracket from Bonehead made of carbon fiber. The whole setup worked great. I was looking for a sidemount.

The panasonic was light, worked well as a sidemount, but for some reason the picture wasn't really better than a good Std Def.

The Sony had the best color saturation, but i thought it was too heavy compared to the others. It also seemed best set up for top mount. It has the most complex menu and controls, so if you're a fiddler you might like it. I'm not-I'm there to jump. Also the Sony had no way of putting out HDMI short of buying an optional kit, so we were forced to use the rca cables.

They do-but of course that's optional. The only thing i really didnt like about the Xacti, which I forgot to mention, is it seems to have a battery saver function that you can't disable. You get 10 mins of on-time, even when recording, unless you push a button.

Also the Sony had no way of putting out HDMI short of buying an optional kit, so we were forced to use the rca cables.

Wrong. It has Mini-HDMI right on the camera. $6 cable from monoprice.com works great with my HDTV.

They do-but of course that's optional.

Since when was a wide angle lens optional for filming skydives? I suppose you could get away with it but why would you even try?

I often don't use a wide. McGowan and Norman Kent often don't use a wide. It's all about where you want to fly. For exits/in the door, you'll almost always want a wide. Outside of that, it's not at all necessary.

Sony does have HDMI out, and *includes* an RGB component cable, as well as a composite cable. So does the Panasonic.

Helo, somewhat stunned you liked the Xacti tho. I have one, don't have an SD9 but did test w/it. Since you've got footage from all three, would you mind posting some short streaming examples at reasonable bitrates for comparison? Maybe there is a problem with my Xacti. For light weight, it's a good choice, but IMO, for picture quality, it's missing a lot.

search around here, you'll find a photo of an SD9 and an error message saying that "you're panning too fast."
Camera was a joke for anything fast, IMO. And the encoder isn't much to write about. If it weren't for skydiving-only, I'd probably buy a Canon OR the Sony, but for skydiving...Sony.

At my current DZ everybody is going to Flash/memeorystick cameras.

The CX&'s and 12's have not been that popular due to the shaky image that sometimes occurs.

Most have gone for the panasonic SD9 and have had good results with them.

Jumping on a sandy beach, in a humid environment and skydiving with them would have to be a pretty good test for them, The only problem I have been aware of is,on two occasions, on two different SD9's the camera stopped recording soon after exit. May have been bumped or ???? but that is among hundreds of jumps with them.

I am still looking at which brand and moel to get as I have to have one by January 1st. The Panasonic SD( is high on the wishlist at this point in time.

Bring on the boxing day sale:ph34r:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Couldn't comment. I have an SD1, SD5, and SD9. All three did one of three things;
1-OIS is an issue just like Sony/Canon
2-Shut off in freefall/exit
3-Corrupt files after jump

To get hundreds of jumps on an SD9, you guys must be incredibly busy.
I only have perhaps 5-6 jumps on each of the above.
Corrupt files and turning off in the air are no-starters for me.
You can see my SD1 and SD5 footage on YouTube VASST channel. SD5 is a great ground cam, so is SD9, IMO. SD1 was non-standard file format. McGowan has an SD5 that was sent in (through me) to have the OIS issue dealt with at one of the camera dealers who has now stopped modifying the cams.[:/] In other words, I'm not the only one who experienced challenges with these cams.
But...it's your money.

To get hundreds of jumps on an SD9, you guys must be incredibly busy.
I only have perhaps 5-6 jumps on each of the above.

The beach DZ here has been using these type of cams for about 6 months now, a few have CX7's or 12's but there are more (5) panasonic SD9's and a SD5.

Each camera would have done at least 300 jumps to date some 400+. Each jumper would do about 100 jumps a month with good camera stike rate(handycam and outside camera). It is safe to say at least 1000 jumps have been made with SD9's in pal & NTSC format, doesn't seem to matter with the computer editing but you would be the expert around here in that subject.

Only 2 known occasions the panasonics have shut off in freefall oce a SD9 and once a SD5.

Head up flying is something that hasn't been played with much yet here with the SD9's, but the Sonys have been terrible with head up flying as we all know.

The DZ that I usually work at is implementing these type of cameras in january, I am yet to decide which camera to buy but the SD9 is the most suitable I have seen so far for around AUS$1000.

any other suggestions?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix