skydivex3m

Putting together my new helmet...

Hi Everybody.

I am planning on putting my new camera gear together within a few days.
Just bought a FTP, and my new Sony HDR HC5E is on its way. should be here on monday. I also have a sony EOS 400 (rebel XTI) that i'm wanting to jump at some point later this summer. need a few more jumps I think.

My plan is to mount the still camera on a liquid flat lock, but can't decide weather to make space for the still on top or just put it down in the forehead. also I can't decide weather to use a quick release for the HC5 too, or just mount direct to the helmet.

I have done a lot of search the last couple of days, but didn't come any closer.

any advise would be appreciated

-Edited 'cause I can't spell-
https://icarusanddaedalusadventures.blogspot.com/

As far as quick-release, here is my opinion. The HC-5 uses side-mounted tapes, so I wouldn't bother with a quick release. A screw through the bottom should do fine. The only time you would need to take it off would be to change the battery, but if you get a decent battery (not the stock one), that shouldn't be often at all. The power supply port can be accessed on the rear with the camera mounted, and that will allow you to charge the battery while it is on the camera.

P.S. The word is "whether." "Weather" is the stuff that keep you from skydiving. And when I "advise" you (verb), I am giving you "advice" (noun). But hell, your English is still better than my Danish :-)

since the HC-5e is small enough,,, there should be room for the still camera on Top...
that might be better than mounting the still to the front...
just like a pilot,,,, a cameraman needs to always think Weight AND balance...

i believe the F T P should have enough room for both, ...

as for quick releases.... IF you think you need one they can be of help for easily removing the camcorder from the helmet,,, in order to shoot ground shots, or in -plane footage...
i use manfrotto Q R's.. I know I know they are heavy BUt they are very very solid....
and position the cameras in the same spot, every time...

stay safe. have fun...

jmy :)

I have a larger plate that came with the helmet. I bought it used. and I know they both will fit on top of that one, but the larger plate also is less snag proof I think.

As for the weight and balance thing, I was thinking that because I'm not always gonna jump with the still, the helmet will be heavy to one side because the video camera is mounted out in one side to make place for the still.
If mounted in the front, jumping without it won't make any difference sideways. Am I making a big problem out of nothing or what?

and Phil.. thanks for the lesson;) but blame my english teacher in school. she never successfully got my eyes away from the playboy magazines and other stuff on my desk. B|

But have to say I'm impressed.. most people from the other side of the pond thinks Denmark is the capital of Sweden, and don't know that danish is a language, and not just some kind of cake:ph34r:
No seriously.. thanks for helping me out...

https://icarusanddaedalusadventures.blogspot.com/

Front mounting the still really moves the buly of the weight in front of your head, not where you want it if you happen to have a rogue hard opening. Its not that big of a deal to have the weight off center if you top mount both and only jump video from time to time. I did that most of last year.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would go with top mounting both side by side on an over sized plate. They should be fairly well balanced this way (no weight on the front) it sucks mounting the still on the front because you will have no access to still camera controls and viewing while in the plane etc etc etc... My current helmet photo attached, is very functional.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................