Rover

Differences between video wide angle lenses

My friend bought a camera helmet so that we can alternate between tandem and outside camera when not jumping handcam. I've got a flat top helmet with video on top and he bought a Cookie helmet with all the bells and whistles. I use a 'cheaper' .43 Kenko. I also have a 'cheaper' Kepcor .45 lens. For consistancy he decided to buy a Liquid .45. After viewing his first video effort my initial thoughts were that he had not zoomed back completely as his footage was no where as wide as mine. However this was not the case.
The attached photos show the differences. There is a photo is with no lens, one with the liquid and the others from my 'cheap' lenses. When he contacted Cookie he was told that they would not refund his money as the lens was 'used' but would replace it with a .3 ( This is of no use as he has a .3 lens which he has loaned out to a mate and can get back )
Call me an idiot but I think that there should be an industry standard that would be consistant. I wear prescription glasses and buy them over the interweb. I would be very upset if one companys understanding of the specifications were different from anothers. I would also think that a 20mm Canon lens and Nikon lens would be very comparative.
I also find it ironic that with my 'cheap' lenses I have full range of the zoom where the more expensive lens only has half the range.
Overall quite frankly I'm not impressed. Does anyone have any comments?
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Single element lens like the Cookie similar are limited due to the physics of the camera to where they can achieve a focus point. Multiple element lens are able to focus through the entire zoom lens. That is simple optical constratants. This has been talked about in detail on here before.

As for the "multipler" that is an issue across the world and its never going to get better.

As for Canon and Nikon, yes a 20mm on different Canon bodies can result in different fields of vision. If you are looking at digital you need to look to see if the sensor on the camera body is a 1.3, 1.5 or 1.6 crop. Each one has different properties and different results. Nikon is just as bad with their product lines. Even worse is that not all new Nikon or Canon lens fit brand new camera's.

If you are going to be using video or still camera you really need to do a lot of research ahead of time since they are getting more complicated for optics and for compatibility. everyday.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

W/A lens adapters with the same multiplier SHOULD give you the same field fo view on the same camera (and a 20mm lens should and usually will give you the same field of view given the same sized imaging device, but as stated, Canon and Nikon use different sized sensors).

However, specs on most consumer electronics are published, and often determined, by the company's marketing departments, not their engineering departments. Bigger brand names like Canon and Nikon often have a vested interest in making their specs believable on their better products, but the same can't be said for many smaller companies. The short story is that you can't really trust the 0.45x type numbers on most lens adapters.

That being said, all of these lenses, and particularly your cheaper lenses, have what I feel is unacceptable vignetting on the images you posted. I'd keep searching.

Even worse is that not all new Nikon or Canon lens fit brand new camera's.

While that is true for Canon, it's not for Nikon ;) The D3 sees wheher it's a DX or FF lens and will only use the 1.5 crop for DX lenses, so they are still usable :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia