chuckakers

Vidiot coming back - opnions please

I've been out of the video game for about 7 years and thinking of getting a new system. The gear has changed a bit here and there, so I'm looking for opinions.

I'm looking at the newer Sony hard drive HD models (SR10, SR 11, etc). The SR11 has a 10.2 mega-pixel still camera. Does anyone know how good those still shots actually look from these or other cams with large mega-pixal capabilities? I like the idea of getting rid of my 35mm on the helmet. Does anyone know if a cable release can be made to operate the still shot mechanism?

Would also like opinions on hard drive HD's in general.

I'm also looking for an alternative to a traditional camera suit. I've always hated the cumbersome and time-consuming requirement of hooking up and then undoing a bunch of junk before and after each jump (booties, swoop cords, wing attachments,etc). The vast majority of my shooting will be student and tandem vids, with some fun-ways and preplanned photo shoots thrown in, but won't be doing committed team vids. I also plan to get a bit more creative from a flying perspective, so I'm considering going to a freefly style suit, or maybe a multi-suit. Opinions??

Please feel free to throw in anything you might think of for a veteran vidiot that's getting back behind (or under, or beside) the lens.

Chuck

As far as I know, the hard drive cameras don't work for skydiving. They will shut off when they get to higher altitudes... Something to do with air pressure and the hard drive.

The latest and greatest camera these days for those wanting to get away from tape is the Sony CX7. It uses memory sticks... But it doesn't have a Lanc.

Don't want to mess around with wings anymore... Check these out...

http://www.deepseed.com/skydiving_equipment/camera/baggycamerajacket.html

http://www.deepseed.com/skydiving_equipment/freefly/multispeedsuit.html

Hard drive cameras are not an option for freefall. The hard drives do not work well in altitudes over 10k and frequently fail leading to complete drive failure and a new paperweight.

The Megapixel statement is if you switch the camera from video to stills mode. Some models allow you to capture stills while shooting video but its usually limited to 3 stills per start/stop of the tape. That means for a skydive you get 3 stills. A few people have made triggers for this but at 3 shots its pretty useless for delivering photos to students.

35mm is on its way out for most DZ's student operations. More and more are moving to a digital only format for all their camera flyers. Check your DZ policy to see what stills need to be delivered on.

Camera suits are up to the jumper. Get the most range out of the combo of suits you have. I use a freefly suit with camera wings. I also use a freefly suit if its a faster combo I need to be filming. Booties help on the drive to get there if you get out somehow but you have to take them off to land usually
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hard drive cameras are not an option for freefall. The hard drives do not work well in altitudes over 10k and frequently fail leading to complete drive failure and a new paperweight.

>>>Thanks for that. I had no idea there was a problem like that (I know, I know, there's a thread about it somewhere in here).<<<

The Megapixel statement is if you switch the camera from video to stills mode. Some models allow you to capture stills while shooting video but its usually limited to 3 stills per start/stop of the tape. That means for a skydive you get 3 stills. A few people have made triggers for this but at 3 shots its pretty useless for delivering photos to students.

>>>According to the guys at "The Sony Store" the SR11 will shoot 10.2 mp photos while shooting video, limited only to the amount of storage in the memory card (it stores stills there when shooting video to the hard drive).<<<

35mm is on its way out for most DZ's student operations. More and more are moving to a digital only format for all their camera flyers. Check your DZ policy to see what stills need to be delivered on.

>>>>Sorry, I meant digital SLR, not 35mm.<<<

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Ask the guys at the Sony store what the frame rate is of the still capturing ability.

Hard drive camera's are out as are DVD based so that leaves tape based or flash drive based cameras as your only options. How are you editing? Analog board or computer? DVD or VHS or BluRay?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Does anyone know how good those still shots actually look from these or other cams with large mega-pixal capabilities?

Keep in mind that megapixels is just one (small) measure of the quality of the photo. You are still dealing with a miniscule sensor (compared to even the low-end DSLRs), and a lens that just isn't up to par with what most people are putting on their SLRs. Not to mention no where near the control over how (and when) the picture is taken (shutter speed, f-stop, etc.) IMHO, the stills from these video cameras are of fairly poor quality, and are not really marketable. If it is just fun jumps with the buds, and you just want some 4x6s to put up with thumbtacks, then fine. Anything more than that and you need a real still camera.

Does anyone know how good those still shots actually look from these or other cams with large mega-pixal capabilities?

Keep in mind that megapixels is just one (small) measure of the quality of the photo. You are still dealing with a miniscule sensor (compared to even the low-end DSLRs), and a lens that just isn't up to par with what most people are putting on their SLRs. Not to mention no where near the control over how (and when) the picture is taken (shutter speed, f-stop, etc.) IMHO, the stills from these video cameras are of fairly poor quality, and are not really marketable. If it is just fun jumps with the buds, and you just want some 4x6s to put up with thumbtacks, then fine. Anything more than that and you need a real still camera.

That was my initial thought. Thanks for the confirmation.