Cantoral

Camera work improve your RW/FF/WS skills?

This is for people who work or have worked like a cameraman.

In my case I passed around a year doing only outside camera , but a few jump ago I started to do RW jumps again and I notice now that is more easy to me go in the formation, make the points, etc

I would like to know if this happened to any one else.

Thanks

Cielos Azules

Every jump you do makes you better at something, but I'm not convinced that camera flying makes you a better "points" skydiver. Camera flyers can take liberties in their body position that don't always work well for flying grips (RW or freefly). Camera flying taught me how get there fast and stay there, but that's about it.

Canuck

IMO being a better RW and FF'er makes you a better camera flyer but I definintly think that when I do an RW jump now a days I get to my slot alot faster and hold it due to the experience I have gained flying camera........but I am a firm beleiver that you need strong flying skills before you start to fly a camera.
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

Definitely the opposite for me. It was hard to believe how some of my RW skills faded by doing a lot of camera flying last year (mainly 4-way and other RW video). Especially things like long dives to a formation. Sucked so bad on an RW jump last fall that I took myself off after one try and switched to doing video for the group. Been practicing a little over the winter though! :)
Dave

i did very little rw work after i got my liscense...mainly did freeflying. When i wanted to start camera, i realized i SUCKED at belly, and had to work a lot on that...once i got that down, i noticed my belly skills have improved greatly since flying camera. Maybe not turning points, but at least staying with formations, etc. I also realized that some exits i was able to freefly while working camera with tandems, so it helped me there as well. However, for the last 6 months i did very little ff jumps, mainly was a tandem whore, and when i tried freeflyin again i realized a lot of my "skills" were rusty to say the least.

And that's my ramble

I've never done much RW, i have filmed a fair amount though. I have found that all the camera i have done has definitely improved my skills, i can now get to the bunny on a tracking dive and stay there better than before, it has also helped my HD and some parts of freefly.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky