arai

cx-7 memory sticks

If speed is your need, and FCP is your workflow, avoid AVCHD.
Simple answer.

Actually speed is not my concern and FCP is not my my workflow. I just use FCP to firewire videos off of DV cam onto my computer so I can simply watch the videos. I have many video/editing tools at my disposal so I guess I just need to know how I will deal with the AVCHD format if I get this cam? What is the easiest way to get the files off of the card and view them on a computer? Secondly, if I chose to edit using the media, what is my best way to convert the AVCHD files if I don't want to edit in that format? If or when I decide to edit, I would do it on an Autodesk platform which can import many different formats, but obviously AVCHD is not one of those.

Easiest way to get the files off the camcorder is to buy a card reader (about 10.00 at most stores), and put the MSPD card in there. It'll read just like a drive. Xfer from the card to your HDD.
But...if you're using a Mac, then AVCHD isn't your friend, not really. You'll need to convert to a format that Premiere or FCP will like. This takes time, and loses quality.
All PC-based apps read AVCHD very, very well, except for Adobe Premiere.

Easiest way to get the files off the camcorder is to buy a card reader (about 10.00 at most stores), and put the MSPD card in there. It'll read just like a drive. Xfer from the card to your HDD.
But...if you're using a Mac, then AVCHD isn't your friend, not really. You'll need to convert to a format that Premiere or FCP will like. This takes time, and loses quality.

Are you telling me that a PC has finally got an advantage on a mac? What's this world coming to? I thought that the newest FCP version could import AVCHD? I guess I should read the user manual before I believe what I read. I'm not gonna give up on this camera that easily. Like I said, I have just about any video tool or software that one could ever imagine at my disposal, so there has to be a way to make this AVCHD format useful for me.

Thanks for your replies.
P.S. going jumping out in vegas the sunday before NAB starts. If you have any interest let me know.

Are you telling me that a PC has finally got an advantage on a mac? What's this world coming to? I thought that the newest FCP version could import AVCHD? I guess I should read the user manual before I believe what I read. I'm not gonna give up on this camera that easily. Like I said, I have just about any video tool or software that one could ever imagine at my disposal, so there has to be a way to make this AVCHD format useful for me.

Thanks for your replies.
P.S. going jumping out in vegas the sunday before NAB starts. If you have any interest let me know.

Uh...PC has had advantages over Mac for a long, long time. And Mac has had advantages over PC for a long, long time.
they're just tools.
Apple iMovie and FCE can import AVCHD, and do so just fine. But like everything else MPEG, Apple doesn't deal with the native format. you need a plugin to import, and need to wait time for the conversion. And in the conversion process, you lose bits/quality. Apple simply sucks at working with MPEG-based content. ProRes was advertised as the saviour of this issue, but it seriously lacks. CineForm is significantly better, BitJazz is even better still, IMO. Apple's codec ability simply sucks. They know it, their users know it, and hopefully one day, they'll quick fucking around and create a quality codec for pros, or they'll quit fucking around with pro's that want to use professional codecs and allow us to use the industry-standard, supported-by-everyone-but-Apple codecs.
I'm fighting a bullshit FCP DVCProHD codec hassle even as I type this, and it's expensive.

Thanks for your replies.

Uh...PC has had advantages over Mac for a long, long time. And Mac has had advantages over PC for a long, long time.
they're just tools.
Apple iMovie and FCE can import AVCHD, and do so just fine. But like everything else MPEG, Apple doesn't deal with the native format. you need a plugin to import, and need to wait time for the conversion. And in the conversion process, you lose bits/quality. Apple simply sucks at working with MPEG-based content. ProRes was advertised as the saviour of this issue, but it seriously lacks. CineForm is significantly better, BitJazz is even better still, IMO. Apple's codec ability simply sucks. They know it, their users know it, and hopefully one day, they'll quick fucking around and create a quality codec for pros, or they'll quit fucking around with pro's that want to use professional codecs and allow us to use the industry-standard, supported-by-everyone-but-Apple codecs.
I'm fighting a bullshit FCP DVCProHD codec hassle even as I type this, and it's expensive.

So basically for my simple viewing purposes, I can use imovie or FCP to import and deal with the loss of quality and I can just save my precious AVCHD files for when I am ready to edit them? Hopefully more of these companies will be AVCHD friendly in the near future. This camera just seems to be one of the best choices at the moment for a solid state skydiving friendly camera.